Turkey stock...
  Re: (...)
I didn't want to hijack the stockpot question, but I also have something of a question relating to stockpots/making stock. About 4 times a year I make an 18-20 pound turkey. No problem getting the legs and wings into my stockpot, but the body is way too big (no success trying to cut the thick carcuss into smaller pieces with my kitchen shears) for my small stockpot. Those of you who make turkey stock, how do you deal with this? If not cut, how large a stockpot is necessary? If cut, what do you use?
  Re: Turkey stock... by Ron (I didn't want to hij...)
If I can't tear it apart, I put it in a double layer plastic bag a hit it with a hammer until it cracks so I can break it apart.

I have also been known to stomp on it, lol, in the bag of course.

Uh-oh, it sounds like you might need another stockpot.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
whoops, double post
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
I do the same as Jan, only I use the rubber mallot I bought especially for pounding me.

Kinda fun, couple of whacks really clears my head

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Turkey stock... by pjcooks (I do the same as Jan...)
me too, I break mine up in two or three chunks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turkey stock... by cjs (me too, I break mine...)
My stockpot is huge, so it's not a problem. But, before I bought it, I used a really big meat cleaver.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Quote:

Kinda fun, couple of whacks really clears my head.

PJ

Well, I've tried just about everything else to clear my head a bit...

BTW, I break mine apart with my hands but sometimes some still sticks up out of the pot so I just cook it then it breaks down eventually.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Quote:

Kinda fun, couple of whacks really clears my head
PJ

You hammer/crush people are so vicious! I was thinking of using a metal shears. Anyone do that? I've never really tried the crumple routine - guess I could.
  Re: Re: Turkey stock... by Ron ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

[blockquote]Quote:

I was thinking of using a metal shears. Anyone do that? I've never really tried the crumple routine - guess I could.

Ron, I broke a pair of kitchen shears (a really good stainless steel pair) trying to cut thru the breastbone of a cooked turkey many years ago. Breaking apart works just fine (though watch out for flying pieces..)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Turkey stock... by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"I broke a pair of kitchen shears (a really good stainless steel pair) trying to cut thru the breastbone of a cooked turkey many years ago."

My kitchen shears struggle to cut the backbone out of a chicken. I tried it on a turkey a couple times and it was totally out of the question. If I can find an inexpensive tinsnips (metal shears) I'll buy it and report back. Otherwise, I guess I'll try the ways the rest of you are using. Thanks.