Cod, Potato, & Fennel Casserole
  Re: (...)
I almost decided against this dish 'cause it just sounded too blah...but, I'm so glad I didn't bypass it - it's simple and it's just delicious!!

I made the whole recipe, but just put two smallish cod fillets on top. Now, I have this wonderful potato mixture to play with for brunch this morning. The thickness of my filets took an extra 4-5 min. to get it to 140 F. and it was just perfect!

COD, POTATO, AND FENNEL CASSEROLE

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 1 hr

2 medium fennel bulbs (sometimes called anise; 1 1/2 lb total), stalks cut off and discarded, and fronds reserved for garnish if desired
1 1/2 lb large boiling potatoes
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 lb skinless cod fillet (1 inch thick), cut into 6 portions
Garnish: chopped fennel fronds or fresh flat-leaf parsley
Accompaniment: lemon wedges
Special equipment: a Japanese Benriner* or other adjustable-blade slicer; a 3-quart shallow baking dish (2 inches deep)

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Cut fennel bulbs crosswise into 1/16-inch-thick slices with slicer. Peel potatoes and cut crosswise into 1/16-inch-thick slices with slicer.

Transfer fennel and potatoes to baking dish and toss with garlic, salt, pepper, and 4 tablespoons oil. Spread vegetables evenly in dish and bake, covered with foil, in middle of oven until just tender, 25 to 30 minutes.

Season fish with salt and pepper and arrange on top of vegetables. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and bake, uncovered, until fish is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes.

* Available at Asian markets, many cookware shops, and Uwajimaya (800-889-1928).

Make 6 servings.

Gourmet
December 2002

I have one more little pkg. of cod to play with - probably be Cod Fritters with Tartar
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cod, Potato, & Fennel Casserole by cjs (I almost decided aga...)
Seriously, was your cooking-spirit hovering above my shoulder the other day while I was grocery shopping? I bought a bunch of fennel. I really don't know why, since I've only eaten it in salads and I wasn't in a salad-mood, but it has always reminded me of spring.

I will try this on Monday and report my results (I already have the cod, not knowing what to do with it either). Thanks for the post!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Cod, Potato, & Fennel Casserole by foodfiend (Seriously, was your ...)
great minds...and all that! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did - remember tho, not too much seasonings here, it's just a simple, comfort dish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cod, Potato, & Fennel Casserole by cjs (great minds...and al...)
Jean, it has been too warm here so far this week to turn on the oven, but all has changed today. Brrrr! So I was very happy to heat up the kitchen for this recipe.

Now, I know that you wouldn't have posted a boring recipe, but this exceeded my expectations! I've never eaten cooked fennel before and I was surprised at how the baking mellowed the flavor, making it almost sweet. Together with the potatoes it was a very nice accompaniment to the cod (which also absorbed a bit of the fennel flavor). I may use a little cayenne next time (DH's suggestion) but there most certainly will be a next time. Thank you so much for posting this!

I won't have the photo of this dish on my blog for a few days (I'm way behind), but I served it with roasted roma tomatoes and broccoli.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Cod, Potato, & Fennel Casserole by foodfiend (Jean, it has been to...)
Thanks for bringing this back up Vicci, because I forgot to copy it the first time and I do want to try it. Jean's recipes are always good.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cod, Potato, & Fennel Casserole by Mare749 (Thanks for bringing ...)
why thank you, maryann -

vicci - this is sure one I'm happy I didn't pass up, glad you liked it also.
www.achefsjourney.com