Cherries Jubilee
  Re: (...)
I have a very special dinner party coming up and am wondering if any of my "buddies" out there have a favorite, tried and true recipe. I don't know why but this dessert has been on my mind (the little I have left) lately.

TIA
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Cherries Jubilee by Roxanne 21 (I have a very specia...)
Hi there, welcome back - you were missed!! I hope someone has a recipe for you. I made them a hundred years ago...Julia Child's recipe??? James Beard??? I can't remember, but it was someone I was in awe of in those days...doesn't help much, does it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by cjs (Hi there, welcome ba...)
UHHH--NO!!!!

HELP!!!!!!
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by Roxanne 21 (UHHH--NO!!!![br][br]...)
Roxanne, I've never eaten cherries jubilee but it sure sounds good and now I'm going to try it. Here is a recipe that I found in Mastercook from Tempting Desserts.

Cherries Jubilee

2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pound canned pitted black bing cherries, reserve syrup
1/3 cup warm cognac
2 strips orange peel
1 strip lemon peel

1. Add cornstarch, sugar and 1 cup syrup from cherries. Drop in orange and lemon peel. Cook, stirring constantly over med heat until thick. Let boil 3 minutes. Discard peels and add cherries.

2. Transfer to chafing dish and add cognac. Blaze with a match. Ladle flaming over vanilla ice cream.
Servings: 8

Maryann P.S. I don't have cognac, what else could I use?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by Mare749 (Roxanne, I've never ...)
Hmmm, this surprised me Maryann, I guess I always thought Cherries Jubilee would be difficult and complicated. That recipe doesn't seem too daunting to me, I might try it too I think
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by farnfam (Hmmm, this surprised...)
No, they really are not daunting - BUT...they must be served with great flourish!!! That's tradition!(as Tevye would say... )

Like Baked Alaska....another fun oldie.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by cjs (No, they really are ...)
What would you think about Kirsch instead of brandy??? Wondering if it would "flame"as well---other than that, that is the recipe I will use---thanx Maryanne.

Maybe a few chocolate curls as an extra bonus??

Love my chocolate but my guest is not a chocolate fan. I thought I would introduce a slight touch because I don't think he has really had a great chocolate taste. The South Afican version is very low par---I will try some awesome Swiss curls as an experiment---he will be pleasantly surprised---or I will be!!!!
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by Roxanne 21 (What would you think...)
You could just pass the chocolate curler or ask "Who would like chocolate on their Jubilee?".

PS I've never had them either but ice cream was never one of my 'must haves', although I enjoy it occassionally.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by Roxanne 21 (What would you think...)
Rox, you can use kirsch or brandy - no problem. I want to come for dessert too!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cherries Jubilee by cjs (Rox, you can use kir...)
I wish you luck Roxanne! I've never had them either. Don't forget to let us know how they come out.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy