Tis the season for salads!
  Re: (...)
Hi - I am a food professional with Kraft Foods and love talking to other consumers about food and recipes.

I am finding, now that the weather is warming up (at least in some parts of the country) I am making more salads than I did in the winter. I love to jazz them up with some different toppings so that they can be a full meal. Some of my favorites are shredded cooked chicken (from a previous night's meal, the deli or even a package when time is really short!), chopped veggies, some toasted nuts or whatever stikes me that night.

And I love to bring the pepper grinder to the table for fresh pepper and some cheese to grate over the top.

What do you like to top your salads with? And do you make them the focus of the meal or are they justed served on the side?

Lisa
  Re: Tis the season for salads! by lisafromkraft (Hi - I am a food pro...)
All of the above----depends on the weather and the "mood"!!!

I adore green salads---mixed lettuce, avocado, cucumber, spring onion with a light basil vinaigrette.

Caesar salads!!!! YUMMMM!!!!

Spinach salads??? YES!!!

Toppings depend upon the meal that it is accompanying---bacon bits, shredded parmesan, chives, basil---soooo many choices!!! Chopped hard boiled egg, on and on and on---

Salads are my absolute favorite---roasted red pepper, eggplant, zucchini---OKAY----enough!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
For a lunch salad...
Mixed greens, chicken, chopped apple, blue cheese crumbles, pomegranate seeds (I love that you can just buy containers of seeds now!) and a balsamic/orange vinaigrette! YUM!

Dinner side salad -what ever vegies we have on hand, hearts of romaine, blue cheese, italian or ceasar dressing.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Tis the season for salads! by esgunn (For a lunch salad......)
We are doing a Greek salad with shrimp tonight.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
It's still comfort food time here in the north woods. Ice is still on the lake. It snowed yesterday and today, and is supposed to snow Tuesday and Wednesday. Salad time starts later here than most other places. Do you know what ve do in Minnesota in da summer? If it falls on a weekend, ve go fishin'.
  Re: Re: Tis the season for salads! by Ron (It's still comfort f...)
Many nights I have a salad sprinkled with meat from the night before and I add any veggies that are in the frig.

These days I rarely eat a salad that doesn't have cheese on it - parmesan, cheddar, mozz, feta, bleu. I love fruits and nuts in the salad, also. Guess this didn't narrow it down any.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Tis the season for salads! by Ron (It's still comfort f...)
Ron--in South central Texas we have 4 seasons- December, January, February and summer.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Tis the season for salads! by Old Bay (Ron--in South centra...)
Quote:

Ron--in South central Texas we have 4 seasons- December, January, February and summer.

I used to live in the S.F. Bay area - super weather all year long, but w-a-a-a-y too crowded for me. Up here it's the deer, the eagles and us.
  Re: Re: Tis the season for salads! by Half_Baked (Many nights I have a...)
I ALWAYS put cheese on the salad - and anything else I can get away with it on (pasta, veggies, etc.) I especially love Parmesan since you get a lot of flavor in a small amount of cheese.

I was able to try a new product through my work in the Kitchens. Grate-It-Fresh Parmesan cheese is in a canister with a built-in grater that is simple to use - I let the kids do it themselves - and that really helps get them to eat anything. And my husband and I liked the fresh taste. And when I was done with it, right into the fridge grater and all - no washing - simple.

I hope that I see other flavors/varieties in the same format. It's like the pepper with built in grinders the spice companies sell - now they have spice blends, etc. in the same grinders.
  Re: Re: Tis the season for salads! by esgunn (For a lunch salad......)
Erin -

Where have you found the pomegranate seeds? I've never seen just the seeds - and taking them OUT of the pomegranate is such a messy task, so I really don't use them even though I love them.

Lisa