charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong?
  Re: (...)
We have a outdoor gas grill fueled by natural gas. I use it a lot in warmer months and am comfortable with using this type of grill.

I have always liked the taste of foods cooked over charcoal, though, and last year we bought a small charcoal grill for our lake house. But I seem to struggle with cooking over it. I always thought that, after a visible flame is no longer apparent and the coals are grey, they are ready to use. But it seems as though they stay hot for only a half hour or less, thereby making it difficult to cook multiple items (it's a relatively small grill, maybe 20" square). Am I using the charcoal too late? Or is this an inherent problem with charcoal grilling?

I would like to buy a larger grill (for when we have guests) and want to use charcoal, but if I can't learn how to use the smaller grill more efficiently I'll have to opt for propane instead.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong? by foodfiend (We have a outdoor ga...)
Vicci, I could use a lesson or two myself, hope someone out there is a grilling guru

PJ
PJ
  Re: charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong? by foodfiend (We have a outdoor ga...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
"Bank some 'back up' charcoal" - and/or add 2-3 pcs. every 5-8 minutes to keep the heat ongoing.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
You only have to wait till the coals start turning gray (about 50%) Don't spread them out too far from each other.

How many coals are you using and how much food are you cooking? Your heat should last you, without adding more coals, about 45 minutes.

If you have more to cook add coals. Drop them inbetween hot coals. Do not add more lighter fluid.

I've smoked food in my bbq and I just keep one side of my grill up (it has 4 sections) so I can feed more coals into it.
  Re: Re: charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong? by DFen911 (You only have to wai...)
[blockquote]Quote:

You only have to wait till the coals start turning gray (about 50%)

AHA! I'm waiting too long.

If the rain holds off I may pull out the charcoal grill tomorrow.

Thanks

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong? by DFen911 (You only have to wai...)
Okay, "bank up", check my brand of charcoal, and wait until the coals are 50% grey-- this should do it! THANKS everyone. I won't have the opportunity to put it all to the test for a few weeks, but I really think that you all nailed this for me.

Denise, I use more charcoal than the directions that came with the grill indicated so I have to be using enough. The directions also said to spread it in a single layer when ready to use, but I'm thinking that won't produce enough heat. Should I do a double-layer of charcoal?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong? by foodfiend (Okay, "bank up", che...)
"Do not add more lighter fluid." - oh please, say no one is using this stuff! It makes food taste awful (O.K., imo, but it does) The best was we've found to start briquets fast is using the chimney things - no lighter fluid!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong? by cjs ("Do not add more lig...)
I agree...my ex used so much of that stuff, it was all you could taste! Blech!
Tammy
  Re: Re: charcoal grill- am I doing something wrong? by TwilightKitten (I agree...my ex used...)
Lighter fluid - bleck! It seems to make food taste metallic/burned to me.

We use the stove pipe also.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.