Shosholoza
  Re: (...)
Okay---I know that this is NOT cooking related but I just have to share my excitement!!!

Team Shosholoza is the first African continent entry into the America's Cup----sailing for those who don't follow sailing---anyway, my DH is the official team photographer and he gives his heart and soul to the effort, pro bono.

The first race was held today in Valencia, Spain---GUESS WHAT??? The team (underdogs-to say the least!!!) took second place-----WOW, YIPPEE, HIP-HIP-HOORAY!!!! And who was FIRST??? The Americans (BMW Oracle), of course

This is such an amazing feat for these guys--I'm certain that it won't last long but WHAT A BEGINNING in the final leg of the CUP. Geesh--this is almost as great as watching my son score the winning goal in a soccer game--now how good is that!!!!

Forgive me----but I have to share with my family!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Shosholoza by Roxanne 21 (Okay---I know that t...)
Roxanne, I can feel your excitement! And you have a ringside seat, I am assuming,? That's great!

PJ
PJ
That's great!! Does 2nd place get to continue? As I recall each leg is made up of several races.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Shosholoza by Old Bay (That's great!! Does ...)
I love following the A.Cup. I consider it madly exciting. Congrats to Africa. NZ dismal effort last time around can only get better.
  Re: Re: Shosholoza by Old Bay (That's great!! Does ...)
This was the first fleet race of the series of four--positioning results in extra bonus points going into the final match races. Shosh is looking to achieve the semi-finals--but I think that might be over reaching a bit but if they maintain the spirit and tenacity, who knows!!!

Dale, NZ had a poor showing yesterday but they always sandbag at the beginning---they will do well!!

Ringside seat/// You bet, the best---right at home on the virtual computer scene---I have a better vantage point than DH---I have to inform him as to the incidents when he contacts me after the race. He is positioned on one side of the race course for those awesome photos so he really doesn't see the events unfolding elsewhere.

Thanks for your interest!! Fingers crossed for another great day for both teams---sure would be great to have the Cup back in the States next time
How exciting from your adopted country!! I hope you'll keep us updated...we can certainly detour from food for such wonderful news!!

About the only thing I know about boats and boat racing is how we can beat the other boats out frogging...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shosholoza by pjcooks (Roxanne, I can feel ...)
UPDATE!!!! Not a good day for our team---first race they were 8th (out of 12) and the second they blew out their spinnaker as well as some of the masting---heavy winds but no excuse.....they remain in the race, which is pretty spectacular, but they are limping home.

BMW--the Americans are leading again!!! YIPPEE!!!!

I have to find something positive---not a bad positive!!!

They broke their spinnaker pole as well--came in 7th---only 300 meters from the finish----sad!!!!

Dale---your guys did not do too badly but I still think they are sandbagging!!! JMO