Chicken...
  Re: (...)
I sandwich chicken in between beef/pork/seafood to have a little menu variety,so we have a fair amount of it. For some time now I have been getting a substantial bloody area near the bone regardless of cooking method (fried, baked, broiled). This happens even when cooking well above the recommended final temperature. I'm not buying free range organic, but I'm buying the best I can get here, not the cheap mass market junk. Is anyone else noticing this?
  Re: Chicken... by Ron (I sandwich chicken i...)
Yes-I recently read about this. (Where??) I'll check out my usual sources, I think it's CI.

It's harmless, just disconcerting, so they say. I'll let you know what I find.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Chicken... by pjcooks (Yes-I recently read ...)
I'm having the exact same problem. It doesn't look very appealing when I cut into it.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Chicken... by Ron (I sandwich chicken i...)
I googled "bloody chicken" and found a few articles. Apparently the red is bone marrow. It has become more prevalent recently because birds are marketed younger now than previously with the result that the bones are less developed and more subject to leak marrow. Freezing the chicken causes ice crystals to form in the bone, making the bone even more subject to marrow leakage. I always buy when it's on sale and it's typically in the freezer a month or two before use, so I might consider changing that.
Supposedly not harmful, but definitely not pretty, per the following article.
http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html
I've always buy bone-in chicken, preferring the moistness and taste, but the appearance is an appetite killer even if it is safe. Fortunately, mine never looks anywhere near as bad as the pictures in the article!
I think we need to get Emeril and The Chicken Police on this.
  Re: Re: Chicken... by Ron (I googled "bloody ch...)
I cooked a chicken a few nights ago (we had company) and when I was carving it, and started to see the yucky stuff, I took it to the counter to finish so my guests wouldn't see it and be upset.

I buy chicken on the bone 99% of the time too, Ron. The breasts and thighs have been looking raw although I know they are done. Thanks for the article.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Chicken... by Half_Baked (I cooked a chicken a...)
The faster a grower can get a chicken to a marketable weight, the more money they make. Apparently, they are getting a bit too good at it. I checked the calibration on my Thermapen, and it was right on. I checked with my previous thermometer and got the same result, so I know my temps were right.
  Re: Re: Chicken... by Ron (The faster a grower ...)
thanks for the info, Ron - I'd read this problem was safe, but hadn't read the casuse of it. It can be kind of gross. I also like to buy bone-in and I buy in quantity so I guess I'm stuck...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com