Hints for Basil Pesto
  Re: (...)
Here are some hints that came with the Amore Italian Pesto Paste. I have to buy a new tube of it though. Fredia, Marilee, and I kept "tasting" it until less than 1/4 tube is left

* Exported from MasterCook *

Basil Pesto Ideas

Recipe By :Amore Pesto Paste
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Condiments-Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

Swirl a dollop of Pesto into hot potato soup before serving.

Arrange slices of ripe tomatoes and mozzarella on a platter and drizzle with Pesto, a little olive oil, and a few grindings of black pepper.

Blend 2 Tbs of Pesto, 2 cloves garlic, or 2 tsp garlic paste, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and one peeled and seeded ripe tomato to make a pistou. Excelent stirred into minestrone soup or pasta salads. Delicious spooned over grilled chicken or vegetables.

Make a low-cal creamy salad dressing by whisking together 1/2 cup buttermilk, 2 tsp Pesto, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 Tbs ccider vinegar, and 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard.

Dot Pesto over rolled omelettes or scrambled eggs for added zest.

Blend 2 Tbs Pesto with softened mild goat cheese. Use as a canape spread, or pipe mixture into vegetable boats.

Combine 3 Tbs olive oil with 1 1/2 Tbs Pesto. Toss with hot cooked rice or pasta.

Mix together 1 Tbs Pesto, 3 ounces softened cream cheese, and the shopped stems of 12 mushrooms. Stuff mushroom caps with the cheese mixture; bake 15
minutes in a preheated 375°F oven.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On another note, my sis' neighbors, Jack and Florence [the truck farmers] were over visiting a little while ago and I asked if I could stroll through their green houses just to see what all was there. There reply was, "We know who you are, go anytime you want and take what you want." They now have about 12 greenhouses, each about 150' long and 20' wide. One is used especially for edible flowers. They said if I wanted fresh basil just let them know since they imported it from Hawaii throughout the winter to keep their customers supplied [their freight bill from last winter, just for basil was $80,000].
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Hints for Basil Pesto by bjcotton (Here are some hints ...)
That is clearly a huge business they are running Billy. I remember the acres and acres of beautiful ploughed ground you posted. I couldn't Work there, I would just but grazing my way around the place. Nice of them to give you free range, but I suspect they may have one of your dinners in mind. ;Þ
Quote:

their freight bill from last winter, just for basil was $80,000].

Although I shouldn't be, w/delivery charges and fuel surcharges, gotta sell a lot of basil to absorb that! Then again, those tiny little packages that cost $3 apiece, w/only half usuable...

Your Amore pesto paste sounds like my Gourmet Garden Basil Blend. I think it's pretty good when there's no other reasonably priced choice. I'll have to check to see if it's around here.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Hints for Basil Pesto by vannin (That is clearly a hu...)
It's a good possibility Dale cause they sure like it when I cook for them, then again they are very generous people, especially to their friends. They adore Marilee and since I'm her brother, I'm just peachy
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Quote:

"We know who you are, go anytime you want and take what you want."

And did you scream with delight?!?!? How lucky you are!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Hints for Basil Pesto by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Im afraid I am totally not for pesto or any other ' fresh' herb flavour out of a jar or tube.Sad I make my own pesto..it is cheaper, and certainly better tasting. Basil is available to us all year round. Stored in your refrigerator with a thin layer of VOO on top it will keep for ages. Preservatives are in those jars and tubes!! :O
  Re: Re: Hints for Basil Pesto by Lyndee (Im afraid I am total...)
You're very lucky! This time of year, all the fresh stuff is horrible, most of the bunches are turning brown, and the little packages are half rotted. Sometimes, if I'm very lucky, I may find a spindly potted basil for $3 or $4. I have no luck growing these things inside, outside, they take over.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Hints for Basil Pesto by pjcooks (You're very lucky! ...)
here's some more ideas for pesto and/or basil - since I'm such basil fanatic!! Billy,forgive me if there are duplications, these are just ideas over the years that I didn't want to forget.

* Exported from MasterCook *

BASIL

BASIL - HARVESTING/KEEPING

BASIL PUREE: Process 4 c. loosely packed basil leaves & 1 cup EVO (or 8-oz. can tomato sauce) in a food processor till basil is finely chopped.
Spoon mixture into ice-cube trays (or whatever), & freeze.
Store frozen puree in freezer bags up to 6 mos.

Use anywhere you need a burst of fresh basil flavor: in soups, sauces, or salad dressings.
Thaw & add to marinades, or drizzle over grilled meats & vegies.

BASIL PESTO: Process -
4 c. loosely packed basil leaves
6 garlic cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup each: shredded Parm, toasted pine nuts, & EVO
in a processor till smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
Spoon mix into trays & freeze.

Store mix. in freezer bags up to 6 mos. Makes 2 cups.
Pesto is great to have on hand for last minute hors d' oeuvres.
It can stand alone as a dip & also works as a spread for pizzas & sandwiches.

BASIL-GARLIC BUTTER:
Process -
1 cup softened butter
2 garlic cloves till smooth.
Add:
1/2 cup firmly packed basil leaves, & pulse 3-4 times or till basil is finely chopped.
Store in Refrig up to 1 week, or freeze up to 4 mos. Makes 1 cup.
If desired, shape butter into a log; wrap, chill then freeze in log or cut in circles.

Serve w/hot crusty French bread or baked potatoes.
Toss w/hot, cooked pasta and Parm cheese or steamed veggies.

Try it on a grilled cheese w/mozz, sliced tomatoes, & crumbled bacon.

PESTO-GOAT CHEESE SPREAD:
Process -
11-oz. log goat cheese
8-oz. pkg. softened cream cheese
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1/2 c. toasted pine nuts
3 garlic cloves
2 T. balsamic vinegar in food processor till smooth.

Chill 2 hrs. before serving. Makes 3 cups.

Store in frig up to 1 week, or freeze up to 4 mos.
Serve w/toasted pita chips or sliced baguettes.

Shape cheese mix. into logs, & wrap, slice chilled logs into 1/2" rounds. Dip rounds in lightly beaten egg; dredge in Italian breadcrumbs. Pan-fry over med-high heat in a little butter 1 min. or each side or till golden, & serve warm over a crisp, gr. salad.`

LEMON-BASIL MAYO:
Process -
2 c. mayo
1 garlic clove - in processor till smooth. Add -
1/2 c. firmly packed basil leaves
1 T. grated lemon rind - pulse 3-4 times or till basil is finely chopped.
Store IN rig up to 1 weeks. Makes 2 cups. DO NOT FREEZE.

Even tho this won't freeze, it's unbelievably delicious w/a bowl of grape tomatoes or on a turkey sandwich.
Use it in place of plain mayo in deviled eggs or main dish salads; it's also great w/chicken, shrimp, or tuna.
Try it instead of tartar sauce the next time on favorite fish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hints for Basil Pesto by cjs (here's some more ide...)
Oh please make Jeans pesto--freeze it--it lasts for a year (believe me). Butter two slices of phylo and put together. Coat the top half one inch from the end and side with one Tbs of pesto. Sprinkle with grated parmesan--roll up. Seal with melted butter--slice on a slite bias one inch thick. Bake at 400 until golden. You will thank me.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hints for Basil Pesto by Old Bay (Oh please make Jeans...)
I'm thanking you - you've never told us about this little goodie, have you???? Has CRS set in again????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com