Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin
  Re: (...)
Made this this a.m. for brunch for our weekend guests and is it ever good!!! It's from the Bed & Breakfast website - and if you all haven't checked this site out for brunch (especially) ideas, you are missing a great source.

Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin presented by Greenhouse Bed and Breakfast

Can be served over buttered toast or as a brunch casserole.

6 tbsp. butter
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
6 tbsp. chopped parsley
1/4 cup red sweet bell pepper diced small
2 tbsp. flour
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup milk
1 - 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp. dry sherry
2 lbs. crabmeat (WAY too much - I used one pound combination of crab and prawns and it was plenty!!)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tsp cayenne (optional) (I don't know I used 2 tsp., I just sprinkled it over with the paprika)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a medium skillet melt butter and sauté the onions, pepper and parsley for about 4 minutes.

Add the flour all at once and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to simmer. Add the softened cream cheese. Stir until combined. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until smooth. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the sherry.

Place the crabmeat in a large greased ovenproof casserole dish and pour the milk mixture over it. Fold gently to combine. Sprinkle with parmesan, cayenne, and paprika. Bake for 20 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.
Serves 8.

I served it over toasted 18-hour bread....yum.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...GRATIN.jpg
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin by cjs (Made this this a.m. ...)
Sounds amazing, Jean. I'm thinking it would be tasty on top of pasta as well. Did you ever try that, or is it too thick for that?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin by Mare749 (Sounds amazing, Jean...)
OOOOOH---this is right up my alley---now to find some crabmeat---but shrimp will do the trick!!! Thanks for the post---printed as we speak!!!!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin by Roxanne 21 (OOOOOH---this is rig...)
I bet it would be good over pasta - but,I just found the recipe yesterday a.m., so have only made it once.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin by cjs (Made this this a.m. ...)
That sounds awesome - wish I could get my paws on some good crab. I haven't had any since Christmas (gets expensive when you add special packaging and the cost of next day FedEx). Used to have something similar on S.F. Bay in Tiburon, CA served on a toasted English Muffin. Yum!
  Re: Re: Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin by Ron (That sounds awesome ...)
Jean, you have really become proficient with your camera. I certainly enjoy the pictures that you post to share with us.

The crab au-gratin sounds and looks wonderful.

Ron, I have one pint of frozen extra-large lump crabmeat left in my freezer. Oh, I hated to freeze it but sometimes there just isn't a choice. I may have to bring it out for Jean's dish...but first I'd better start my 18 hr bread.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Guia's Crabmeat Au-Gratin by Ron (That sounds awesome ...)
thank you, Jan.

"Used to have something similar on S.F. Bay in Tiburon, CA served on a toasted English Muffin"

That's how I used to fix it when the kids were home - a bechamel sauce with crab over toasted Eng. muffins and a little cheddar sprinkled over. A real family favorite.

This one is kind of an upscale version...
www.achefsjourney.com