Veggie burgers
  Re: (...)
Went to Trader Joe's tonight for some of my staples like yogurt and red pepper and tomato soup. Gosh, I love that place! Anyway, I noticed the price of Doc Praeder's veggie burgers was something like $3.99 for 4 of them!

Does anyone have a recipe for making veggie burgers? If you do, I would love to try it!

Thanks,
Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Veggie burgers by Mare749 (Went to Trader Joe's...)
I, too, would be interested in such a recipe. Our favorite so far is Gardenburger's portobello burger, but I'd love to find a recipe without a laundry-list of ingredients.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Veggie burgers by Mare749 (Went to Trader Joe's...)
Docs are the best. I haven't even thought of making them since I buy the Docs. I'd love to take a peek at a recipe though.
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Veggie burgers by SDRecipeGirl (Docs are the best. ...)
I know there is a really good recipe floating around out there because I had it at one time, but just can't seem to find it now. It may have come from the weight watchers website. I'm hoping someone will have it.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Veggie burgers by Mare749 (I know there is a re...)
The 2nd recipe is from Weight Watchers but I think this first one sounds good. I believe it's the cornmeal that really appeals to me. I'm back in a Mexican phase. I'll make the first recipe this evening since now I'm craving one.

Men's Fitness Magazine had a recipe several years ago for a Hi-Fiber Burger but I can't find it to save my life.

Black Bean Burgers

1 12oz Can Black Beans (or 1-1/2 cups cooked yourself)
1 chopped & boiled potato (any sort, soft enough to mash)
1/2 yellow onion, minced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2T chopped cilantro
juice of 1 lime
1T cumin
cayenne to taste
1tsp salt
dash o pepper
about 1/3 cup cornmeal (enough to form patties)
1/2 jalapeno (optional)
1 ear of corn cooked & shaved (optional)

Mash up the beans and potato. Add the rest of the ingredients and mash together with your hands. Form into patties of desired size and fry em up in plenty of olive oil until crispy.
The pattie mix will keep well in the fridge for about a week.

from Weight Watchers:
Here's a recipe for Black Bean Burgers that is pretty tasty, easy, and much more economical than buying the frozen ones.

from _Meatless Burgers_ by Louise Hagler

Black Bean Burgers - 6 burgers

2 C cooked black beans, drained
1/2 C cooked brown rice
1/2 C quick-cooking rolled oats
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green pepper, chopped (I use red)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 C chopped cilantro (I use fresh parsley sometimes)

Preheat the oven to 350.
Mix all the ingredients together, and form into burgers.
Arrange the burgers on an oiled baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes on each side, or until browned, turning carefully.

NI: 130 Calories, 0 g fat, 4 g fiber.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Veggie burgers by Half_Baked (The 2nd recipe is fr...)
Thanks Jan, the second one is the one I was thinking of from a few years back. I think the first one sounds even better. Since I love veggies, I'll be trying both of them.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Veggie burgers by Mare749 (Thanks Jan, the seco...)
I made BBB #1 tonight. After I started mixing it all together, I had to have them as tostados instead of burgers. I fried up some corn tortillas, added a layer of Black Bean Burger, sour cream, salsa, chopped onion and cheese; and more lime spritzed on. It was delicious!

As I was testing them with a broken piece of tortilla, Mr HB waltzed by, tried them and asked for his on soft tortillas, rolled up. I can't even begin to count up the calories in this little dish but we both enjoyed it very much.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Veggie burgers by Half_Baked (I made BBB #1 tonigh...)
I would too, Jan! That sounds just like something we would both enjoy at my house. Thanks for the idea.

Maryann
Maryann