Hangtown Fry - Finally!!!
  Re: (...)
Since my twenties, my mother was fascinated with the Hangtown Fry, but for some reason she never made the dish. I probably didn't help the effort much because in those days, I was not a fan of oyters as I am today. Having just gotten her old recipe books (clipped recipes and handwritten treasures) and going thru them, my interest was piqued and this morning I made the dish for the first time. I did a little research first to try to get as close to the authentic recipe as possible and I think, I found it.

Here's a little of the history and lore of Hangtown Fry from Placerville, CA
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Hangtown Fry History

Hangtown fry could possibly be the first California cuisine. It consists of fried breaded oysters, eggs, and fried bacon, cooked together like an omelet. In the gold-mining camps of the late 1800s, Hangtown Fry was a one-skillet meal for hungry miners who struck it rich and had plenty of gold to spend. Live oysters would be brought to the gold fields in barrels of sea water after being gathered in and around San Francisco Bay. Such a meal cost approximately $6.00, a fortune in those days.

However it came to be, ordering a Hangtown Fry became a mark of prosperity for gold-rich miners, the status symbol of the day. The recipe swept the entire Northwest Territory, from California to Seattle, in the mid-1800s. A few drinks and a Hangtown Fry were considered a gentleman's evening.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Start out the dish by frying two slices of bacon (for 2 servings), cut them in half and set aside keeping warm. Bread, eggwash, bread again 3-4 small oysters per person; fry these in clarified butter. Add two slices of bacon per omelet in the pan with the oysters, placing them like railroad tracks in the pan.

Mix together two eggs (per person again) with seasoning & a little milk and pour over the oysters and bacon. Cook slowly until eggs are set and lightly browned. During the cooking, lift the cooked eggs to let the uncooked part run underneath onto the hot pan.

To serve, fold in half and slip onto a hot platter. Serve French fried potatoes as an accompaniment. (Next time, I think I'll serve as a frittata, not folded, so I can get the effect of the beautiful fried oysters and the 'rail road' bacon strips.) This was wonderful and I so wish my mother was at a place she could have enjoyed this dish with us also. Hangtown Fry is a wonderful, historical dish.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Hangtown Fry - Finally!!! by cjs (Since my twenties, m...)
Oh dear, how I wish I loved oysters.....
I think I remember my grandmother making something similar ions ago, not that I would have touched it then, but it sure sounds good now! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Hangtown Fry - Finally!!! by pjcooks (I think I remember m...)
That's a very interesting read and it's another recipe that I've never heard of. Mr HB loves oysters!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Hangtown Fry - Finally!!! by Half_Baked (That's a very intere...)
GREAT info there, Jean---thank you. I have reviewed a recipe in one of my volumes, somewhere, but we are not oyster fans, either. What do you think could be subbed for the oysters???
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Hangtown Fry - Finally!!! by Roxanne 21 (GREAT info there, Je...)
"What do you think could be subbed for the oysters??? "
NOTHING!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hangtown Fry - Finally!!! by cjs ("What do you think c...)
WHHHAAAAAAA!!!!!! There must be SOMETHING????

How 'bout clams or mussels???
  Re: Re: Hangtown Fry - Finally!!! by Roxanne 21 (WHHHAAAAAAA!!!!!! ...)
roxanne, when you get back to the U.S., I will cook you up a Hangtown fry....just be patient.

I forgot the pictures of the dish!!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...SBACON.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...OOKING.jpg

and...the hangtown fry -

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...YTWO-1.jpg

and for dessert this weekend Rhubarb cobbler - the first of the rhubarb from my neighbor's yard - two hours from the garden to the oven!!!!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...OBBLER.jpg
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hangtown Fry - Finally!!! by cjs (roxanne, when you ge...)
WHOA!!!! That is pretty incredible!!!! You the bestest!!!!

I am VERY patient and will take you up on that-----just you wait!!!!

Those oysters look as though I can devour them through my screen----YUMMY!!!!!! AND I DON'T LIKE OYSTERS!!!!! A convert in the making?????
I always was captivated by the name and wanted to try one. When in the CA Gold Country in Sonora a restaurant had it on the menu so I tried it. It was horrible. I learned later that the nice-looking place was the worst restaurant in town. I probably should try making it myself - no way it wouldn't be a major improvement!