Kitchen Countertops
  Re: (...)
Possibly going to get a new countertop. My red formica is over 20yrs old. Thinking of Corian and even Zodiaq. They both have a nice deep red in their pallette. Sooo, I'm wondering what do you have? what do you recommend?
Thanks,
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Kitchen Countertops by farnfam (Possibly going to ge...)
and I love it. It is not indestructible, but you can resurface it. I had Corian countertops installed in 2001 and my daughter sliced bread on it (you must use a cutting board), so I called the repairman and he sanded out the slice marks. You also should use trivets and can't put a hot pot on it like granite. Just make sure you see a large piece of whatever color you choose, we chose a veined color and it looks very different from the 2x2 swatch we saw.
well, this probably isn't up your alley, but I couldn't just ignore your question.... In the house that we remodeled the kitchen (and I was dragged out of kicking and screaming), I had a combination maple and SST. Absolutely loved that combination - I coud do anything on them, to them or with them!!

I'll go sit down now.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: I have Corian by lxxf (and I love it. It i...)
I must be a total bore, if I were doing a new kitchen I would use dear old s/s. I hankered for years after a butlers sink, but now would choose a commercial size s/s, not too deep.
I've never heard of Zodiaq, what is it? In my next kitchen, I will have 3 counter finishes, a S/S, a maple and some sort of marble for my baking area. Course, I'll have to convince the Picky One that all three are necessary to keep the cook happy

Good luck with your remodel!!

pj
PJ
  Re: Re: I have Corian by vannin (I must be a total bo...)
Dale, what's a butler's sink? Sounds intriguing!

PJ
PJ
Before you buy, at least look at quartz. Extremely durable like granite, but less expensive and doesn't require periodic re-sealing. Silestone is one good brand. If you go to their website, click on "new colors" - they have a couple interesting reds.
Edited to add: PJ, I just googled Zodiaq, and see that it is also a quartz product.
  Re: Re: Kitchen Countertops by Ron (Before you buy, at l...)
Thank you, Ron, will look into this.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Kitchen Countertops by Ron (Before you buy, at l...)
Thanks everyone,I appreciate your opinions. It's not a remodel really, just replacing the countertop. Yes, the Zodiaq is a quartz product and I'm leaning that way. On the other hand the Corian is so functional and more affordable. Oh, decisions decisions.
I've worked in kitchens with SST(stainless steel?) Great choice too, but just not quite what I was imagining
Still open for any and all suggestions. Thanks again.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Kitchen Countertops by cjs (well, this probably ...)
Quote:

well, this probably isn't up your alley, but I couldn't just ignore your question.... In the house that we remodeled the kitchen (and I was dragged out of kicking and screaming), I had a combination maple and SST. Absolutely loved that combination - I coud do anything on them, to them or with them!!

I'll go sit down now.

Jean, you had stainless steel and maple counters? If you could tell me, how were these configured? I'm still gathering ideas for my new kitchen and last week passed a fabrication shop in another part of town that had a sign out which announced "we do steel countertops!". I'm concerned that they may look too utilitarian for the kitchen of a historic house, but if I could mix them with wood to warm it up a bit...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com