Preserved Lemon
  Re: (...)
Just visiting the LCBO website and found a recipe for Chicken with Preserved Lemon and Olives. It mentioned that Paula Wolfert has a recipe for preserving lemons in her cookbook. Any one have it? Also, didn't C@H have a way to preserve lemons in a back issue? Would someone with Members Plus give a look see for me. Thanks in advance
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Preserved Lemon by farnfam (Just visiting the LC...)
I read back threads and someone said there was a recipe for it in Issue 31, if that helps. I neither have the issue or access...lol.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemon by Half_Baked (I read back threads ...)
Preserved Lemons
(Cuisine at home, February 2002, Issue 31, p. 38)

Makes: About 1 Quart Total Time: 6 Days Rating: Easy

Combine:
10 small lemons, scrubbed, cut from top to bottom (but not all the way through)
1 cup kosher salt

After Day 6, Add:
Olive oil to cover

Combine lemons and salt. Pack salted lemons in a clean glass jar. Cover with plastic wrap, close lid, and let stand at room temperature. After 24 hours, press lemons with metal spoon to release more juice. Shake jar to help dissolve salt. Press lemons and shake jar once a day. After 3 days, they will have compressed to half their size.

After 6 days, add enough olive oil to cover. Cure lemons in refrigerator for 1 month before using.
----------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com
  Re: Preserved Lemon by farnfam (Just visiting the LC...)
here you go, ma'am - always wanted to do this.....hmmmm

Preserved Lemons
(Cuisine at home, February 2002, Issue 31, p. 38)

Makes: About 1 Quart Total Time: 6 Days Rating: Easy

Combine:
10 small lemons, scrubbed, cut from top to bottom (but not all the way through)
1 cup kosher salt

After Day 6, Add:
Olive oil to cover

Combine lemons and salt. Pack salted lemons in a clean glass jar. Cover with plastic wrap, close lid, and let stand at room temperature. After 24 hours, press lemons with metal spoon to release more juice. Shake jar to help dissolve salt. Press lemons and shake jar once a day. After 3 days, they will have compressed to half their size.

After 6 days, add enough olive oil to cover. Cure lemons in refrigerator for 1 month before using.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemon by cjs (here you go, ma'am -...)
You were 2 minutes late Pooh-Bah.
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemon by Ron (You were 2 minutes l...)
yeah? YEAH? Let's see you top this, little old 'enthusiast'... (neener, neener

PRESERVED LEMONS

Editor's note: The recipe and introductory text below are excerpted from Paula Wolfert's book Couscous and Other Good Food From Morocco. Wolfert also shared some helpful cooking tips exclusively with Epicurious, which we've added at the bottom of the page.
To read more about Wolfert and Moroccan cuisine, click here.

Preserved lemons, sold loose in the souks, are one of the indispensable ingredients of Moroccan cooking, used in fragrant lamb and vegetable tagines, recipes for chicken with lemons and olives, and salads. Their unique pickled taste and special silken texture cannot be duplicated with fresh lemon or lime juice, despite what some food writers have said. In Morocco they are made with a mixture of fragrant-skinned doqq and tart boussera lemons, but I have had excellent luck with American lemons from Florida and California.

Moroccan Jews have a slightly different procedure for pickling, which involves the use of olive oil, but this recipe, which includes optional herbs (in the manner of Safi), will produce a true Moroccan preserved-lemon taste.

The important thing in preserving lemons is to be certain they are completely covered with salted lemon juice. With my recipe you can use the lemon juice over and over again. (As a matter of fact, I keep a jar of used pickling juice in the kitchen, and when I make Bloody Marys or salad dressings and have half a lemon left over, I toss it into the jar and let it marinate with the rest.) Use wooden utensils to remove the lemons as needed.

Sometimes you will see a sort of lacy, white substance clinging to preserved lemons in their jar; it is perfectly harmless, but should be rinsed off for aesthetic reasons just before the lemons are used. Preserved lemons are rinsed, in any case, to rid them of their salty taste. Cook with both pulps and rinds, if desired.

To make preserved lemons:

5 lemons
1/4 cup salt, more if desired

Optional Safi mixture:
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
5 to 6 coriander seeds
3 to 4 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
Freshly squeezed lemon juice, if necessary

EQUIPMENT
Shallow bowl
Sterile 1-pint mason jar
Sharp knife

1. If you wish to soften the peel, soak the lemons in lukewarm water for 3 days, changing the water daily.

2. Quarter the lemons from the top to within 1/2 inch of the bottom, sprinkle salt on the exposed flesh, then reshape the fruit.

3. Place 1 tablespoon salt on the bottom of the mason jar. Pack in the lemons and push them down, adding more salt, and the optional spices between layers. Press the lemons down to release their juices and to make room for the remaining lemons. (If the juice released from the squashed fruit does not cover them, add freshly squeezed lemon juice — not chemically produced lemon juice and not water.*) Leave some air space before sealing the jar.

4. Let the lemons ripen in a warm place, shaking the jar each day to distribute the salt and juice. Let ripen for 30 days. To use, rinse the lemons, as needed, under running water, removing and discarding the pulp, if desired — and there is no need to refrigerate after opening. Preserved lemons will keep up to a year, and the pickling juice can be used two or three times over the course of a year.

* According to the late Michael Field, the best way to extract the maximum amount of juice from a lemon is to boil it in water for 2 or 3 minutes and allow it to cool before squeezing.

Paula Wolfert shares her tips with Epicurious:
• Located on Morocco's Atlantic coast, south of Casablanca and north of Essaouira, the city of Safi is known for its seafood specialties.
• To most closely approximate the flavor of Moroccan lemons, Wolfert recommends Meyer lemons for this recipe. This lemon/mandarin orange hybrid, in season in January and February, has yellow-orange flesh, a smooth rind, and a sweeter flavor than other lemons.
• To sterilize a mason jar for the lemons, place it upside down in a steamer and steam for 10 minutes. Using tongs (wrap the ends in rubber bands for a better grip), remove the hot jar and dry it upside down on a paper towel-lined baking sheet in a warm oven. To sterilize the jar's top, boil it in water for 5 minutes, then remove with tongs. For more information on home canning, click here.
• When you're ready to use a lemon, remove it with clean utensils to avoid contaminating the inside of the jar with bacteria. This way, the remaining contents of the jar will not need to be refrigerated.

Serves 6; makes about 1 1/2 cups.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemon by cjs (yeah? YEAH? Let's se...)
"yeah? YEAH? Let's see you top this, little old 'enthusiast'... (neener, neener)"

The bar gets raised around here pretty fast! Hell hath no fury like an enraged Pooh-Bah!
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemon by Ron ("yeah? YEAH? Let's s...)
The only difference between an Enthusiast and a Pooh-Bah is the PB talks more Not necessarily better, just more
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemon by Ron ("yeah? YEAH? Let's s...)
Teeheehee, and thank you both VERY muchly. These sound so yummy,I can hardly wait to try them. How fun!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Preserved Lemon by farnfam (Teeheehee, and thank...)
I haven't made them years, or the chicken dish I used them in. But, they are easy to make, and add a really nice taste to the dish!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.