stand mixer???
  Re: (...)
I am considering purchasing a stand mixer and am looking for recommendations. I plan on using it primarily for making bread, so capacity and power are two things I am looking at. Does anyone have suggestions for brand, model, or features I should be aware of?

thanks,

Val
  Re: stand mixer??? by Val (I am considering pur...)
I just asked this same question on another forum and received tons of great advice. I'm sure that others will respond, but it really depends on what type of cook you are and what in terms of quantity that you do at one time. Generally the recommendations to me were that the 5-quart Kitchen Aid mixer is fine for people who do a bit of baking here and there. I'm likely going to go for the KA Professional 600 as I don't know what I might like to do with it long term. It can handle the big jobs. It was also recommended that I take a peek at www.kitchencollections.com for refurbished KA models. Apparently they offer the same warranties as the new ones. Another option if you have a Linens and Things in your area is to use the mailer 20% off coupon plus find a KA $50 rebate and purchase it there. Some options for you. I'm going to be getting mine soon too! Good luck...
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: stand mixer??? by SDRecipeGirl (I just asked this sa...)
I can go along with Lori's recommendation. I have the 5 qt KA Artisan and I just bake bread on occasion. The refurbished ones DO have the same guarantee and are priced quite a bit lower.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I also have a KA Artisan and have liked it a lot the limited amount that I have used it (just made a cake this morning for the the return of Princess Sherrie). It will do bread, but if you are going to be baking bread a lot, I also would recommend you go with the KA 600.
I also have a KA 5 qt, but I bought it so long ago(20+ yrs) that it didn't have a name. It has the bowl lift which I usually love but sometimes hate. If you could get a refurbished for less $$, may I suggest buying an extra bowl? I use mine so much I end up having to wash the bowl a few times each time I cook. Yup, that's what I'm going to ask my kids for on my next birthday.

And, a splatter shield, makes quick work of pouring in ingredients while mixing. Just my 2cents!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: stand mixer??? by pjcooks (I also have a KA 5 q...)
I've only made bread a couple of times in mine, but use it to make a lot of cakes, cheesecakes, etc. Love it.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
I have the KA Heavy Duty 5 qt with Bowl lift - I love it. I do very minimal bread making but we use it for lots of other things. Love the attachments that go to it too!

I would probably look into the 6 qt - it just came out in the last year.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.