Starting my Herbs today!
  Re: (...)
Found some nice herb plants at Loews today, @$2.48, had to buy 10! Came home and repotted, will put them out on the deck during the day and bring them in each night until the last full moon in May, which usually signals the last frost. I had great luck last year with my herbs, now I'm superstitious and will do everything exactly the same hoping to get the same results

Good thing I got 3 basil plants, I sat there munching on the leaves while I was potting, now there's closer to 2

Basil, rosemary, greek oregano, Italian parsley, thyme, sage and tarragon, I will have to restrain myself or I'll have nothing left to grow.

Being in the Northeast puts us a ways behind most of you, but I'm getting the gardening bug!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Starting my Herbs today! by pjcooks (Found some nice herb...)
I'm contemplating not putting in a garden at home since I'm here in Portland most of the time and I have the Truck Farm greenhouses available. By the time this is all over I will either have most of my kitchen up here or duplicated it here.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by bjcotton (I'm contemplating no...)
Billy, the last thing you need is something else to look after right now, while you are traveling back and forth so much. I would just take advantage of having such nice neighbors that give you free range of their greenhouses. You will have time later to make them something wonderful.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by Mare749 (Billy, the last thin...)
my fingers are twitching to plant something also - getting anxious to get my herbs going.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by cjs (my fingers are twitc...)
Yes, that's true, Jean. Billy, maybe you could plant a few containers with herbs and take them with you? Fresh basil makes me smile from ear to ear.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by Mare749 (Yes, that's true, Je...)
I think you are right Maryann, there's just too much going on...how did you get so smart?

As a matter of fact, they're prepping the fields now to plant basil and cilantro. I haven't yet meandered through their greenhouses, gotta do that soon.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by bjcotton (I think you are righ...)
Well, snow's finally gone here. I'm thinking of doing a few more herbs this year too. PJ's list sounds like it'll work. I grow them in some oversized tires left from an old truck I had. Perhaps this year I'll add a container or two to the group.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by farnfam (Well, snow's finally...)
"grow them in some oversized tires left from an old truck " - that's how I used to grow my 'tatoes, in big ole tires.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by cjs ("grow them in some o...)
It's still too cold to plant here, probably be another week or two. The sage, tarragon, thyme, oregano, and chives all seem to have wintered over well. The rosemary looks a bit...dead. LOL
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Starting my Herbs today! by Lorraine (It's still too cold ...)
Yup still too cold here too, I was projecting teehee. Chives are up, had some last nite. I see the oregano and Italian parsley look like they're coming again and that mini basil may be coming back. That was a new one for me and I really liked it. It froze well (in freezer bag)the little leaves came right off the stems and so I had a nice bag of frozen little basil leaves. But they're almost gone

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life