Does anyone have a convection oven?
  Re: (...)
If you do, please tell me how you like it and what you most like to use it for? Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Does anyone have a convection oven? by Mare749 (If you do, please te...)
I had a fairly large countertop model that I used for years when the kids were small. I still have it, though only drag it out when additional oven space is needed. Loved it for roasting chickens and cooking meats, and casseroles and potatoes. I wasn't so crazy about it for baking anything other than cookies.

I assume you're talking about convection ovens in ranges. I don't have one of those, but a girlfriend does, and she loves it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if given the chance (next house).

Any help?

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Does anyone have a convection oven? by pjcooks (I had a fairly large...)
Yes, PJ, actually that does help a lot. It's not something that I gave any thought to until now. My husband thinks it would be worth the extra money to have that option on the next range. I can't help but wonder how much I would actually use it. You know, it's like you don't miss what you've never had.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anyone have a convection oven? by Mare749 (Yes, PJ, actually th...)
We just got a Kenmore elite that is a convection oven. It has the option to use either. I actually never use the regular cooking anymore! I only use convection. It is different and it took a little getting used to. Ovrcooked the turkey at Thanksgiving. But I really like it. And, I can cook two pies at once, or three trays of cookies at one time, it is great.

The only thing I don't like, is it is a little shallower to accomadate the fan in the back. Not much, but a little.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Does anyone have a convection oven? by esgunn (We just got a Kenmo...)
Thanks Erin, that's the one I'm looking at! I think that what I'm most worried about is that I would be overcooking everything.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Does anyone have a convection oven? by Mare749 (Thanks Erin, that's ...)
I have found that most things only cook a little different. The one I got is made by frigidair. They calibrated it to be a lower temp than what it actually says - so that most recipies would cook at the same amount of time. You can over ride it. Sort of defeats the convection thing - but really is handy not to have to figure out times all over again for my recipes. But I just like the way it "cooks" better.

The Turkey is the first thing I think I really overcooked. It just takes a little time to learn it and any oven was going to be so different than my ancient one, it didn't matter. I still had to learn it all over again. But I am very happy with it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Does anyone have a convection oven? by Mare749 (If you do, please te...)
I have a GE profile combination microwave/convection oven mounted over the cooktop. After 2 years or so, the handle broke (it's mounted about 5 feet high). It cost $160 to replace the handle - I can buy 3 nukers for that price. I use it for entertaining, when I need an extra oven. You cannot use the oven on microwave after convection until it has had a chance to cool down -20 minutes or so.