Taste treat...
  Re: (...)
I like bagels and cream cheese, but was getting a bit tired of it on a regular basis. I put some prosciutto on top, and it was fabulous! Fast, and easy to make before your eyes are fully open in the morning.
  Re: Taste treat... by Ron (I like bagels and cr...)
Ron, your bagels and prosciutto and cream cheese reminded me of something I haven't thought of in years. When I was about 7 or 8, I read a book about an immigrant Jewish family coming to live in NYC, and the daughter in the family would eat bagels w/cream cheese and lox. Well, I had no idea what lox was and even if I did, I'm sure it was unavailable in NH at the time, so I made do with some ham. I felt so special eatting something so sophisticated (in my 7 yr old mind).

Oh, and the bagels were toast cut into a round. That was the first time I ever heard there was such a thing as a bagel.

Anyways, now that I've bored you all to death-

your taste treat sounds like a pleasant change!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Taste treat... by pjcooks (Ron, your bagels and...)
MMMmmmm LOX!! PJ, I was on a quest a little while ago to learn how to make the Nova Lox for bagels. It was hard to find someone who even knew what I meant when I first moved here. Anyway, my quest led me to conclude that it's a long, and many stepped process to make the kind that we grew up with (not just smoked salmon)and so I decided just buy them whenever I could find some. Thank goodness they finally got a Walmart here and now they usually have them.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Taste treat... by farnfam (MMMmmmm LOX!! PJ, I...)
While I was picking up cream cheese last weekend for C. de M., I ran across a new product (to me anyway) - "Honey Nut Cream Cheese Spread." Haven't tried it yet, but I used to love the blueberry cream cheese on an E. muffin or bagel. (is this off subject??)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Taste treat... by pjcooks (Ron, your bagels and...)
In California, I used to stop at a bagel shop at least once a week and get a bagel with cream cheese and lox - heaven! Local bakery doesn't make a decent bagel. I switched to store-bought bagels, but didn't like the only available lox. I tried the flavored cream cheeses, but didn't like them. The chewiness of the bagel, the creaminess of the cream cheese and the saltiness of the prosciutto seem to be made for each other. Its sort of a cross-cultural Israel meets Parma (Italy Maryann, not Ohio!) thing. Guess everyone can't eat this, but if you can you should try it.
  Re: Re: Taste treat... by Ron (In California, I use...)
Ron, I've posted a bagel recipe here by Charles Overton. They come out quite like the ones I remember from Brooklyn. If you ever get a chance to try them, I'd be very interested in your opinion of how close they are to the real thing that you remember from California. I could post a link to the thread if your interested in an experiment.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Taste treat... by farnfam (Ron, I've posted a b...)
"The chewiness of the bagel, the creaminess of the cream cheese and the saltiness of the prosciutto seem to be made for each other"

I so agree!!

I remember you posting your bagel recipe, cis, I haven't tried that one, in fact haven't made bagels in at least 10 years, I'll bet. hmmmmmm, 'bout time.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Taste treat... by cjs (While I was picking ...)
Ron, I love your idea, thanks for sharing it.

Jean, I have had Honey Walnut Cream Cheese. Don't know it it's the same as what you bought, but it's great.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Taste treat... by Ron (I like bagels and cr...)
Mmmm- that does sound good. The saltiness of the prosciutto must work well the cream cheese. Good thing to do with some leftover prosciutto too!

Many years ago when I could eat whatever I wanted, there was this terrific bagel place that we used to order food from at lunch. We ordered grilled bagels w/ cheese... they were loaded with cream cheese and then had a slice of cheddar melted on top. Nothing I would ever make now, but they were SO yummy and decadent!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"