baking powder biscuits and scones
  Re: (...)
Hi, All:

Each and every biscuit or scone recipe I find, either on the Net or in my many cookbooks, calls for a varying amount of baking powder, with or without soda, per cup of flour. And, getting the interior done and not gummy seems to be a problem.

Help?

Walt
  Re: baking powder biscuits and scones by Walt (Hi, All:[br][br]Each...)
What temps in the oven are you using??? I will go back and look at my biscuit/scone recipes---they are always great! Maybe you could post your recipe that you use and then we could go from there?

Nice to see you here!!! Why on earth would you leave the Northwest---GEESH---that's where we would prefer to relocate!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: baking powder biscuits and scones by Roxanne 21 (What temps in the ov...)
Geez Roxanne, the ones I get from the bakery are done clear through every time
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
ON THE RARE OCCASIONS THAT I CHOOSE TO GET FLOUR ALL OVER THE KITCHEN, THIS ONE SEEMS TO WORK:

Buttermilk Biscuits
(Cuisine, April 1998, Issue 8, p. 18)
Makes: 16 Biscuits Total Time: 35 Minutes Rating: Easy

Combine:
2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda

Cut in:
1/3 cup vegetable shortening

Stir in:
2 cups buttermilk

Sift over Work Surface and Dough:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided

Cut Biscuits with a 2 1/2

Brush with:
2 T. unsalted butter, melted

Heat oven to 475°. Spray two 8" round pans with cooking spray.

Combine flours, sugar, salt, baking powder, and soda.

Cut the shortening into the flour with a pastry blender mixture until shortening is no larger than the size of a big pea.

Stir in the buttermilk completely with a wooden spoon. Let stand 2–3 minutes. The dough will be very wet.

Sift 1/4 cup all-purpose flour onto the work surface. “Turn out” the dough onto the floured work surface. Sift remaining flour over dough. Flour hands. Turn and fold dough over several times in flour and gently pat to 3/4" thick.

Cut biscuits: Using a floured 2 1/2" cutter, cut dough into rounds — don’t twist! With a spatula, place cut biscuits into pans (6 per pan). Gently reroll scraps. Don’t overwork the dough or add additional flour.

Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter. Bake 15 minutes, or until tops are golden. Serve right away. I guarantee, these biscuits will make you go “white-eyed!”

The secret to great biscuits is to use the right flour, keep the dough moist, and don't overwork it. On a floured surface, "turn out" dough onto the work surface and gently pat to 3/4" thickness.

Nutrition Information (Per biscuit):
171 calories 33% calories from fat 6g total fat 411mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
  Re: Re: baking powder biscuits and scones by Ron (ON THE RARE OCCASION...)
Thanks for the recipe, Ron. You know, just this morning I was thinking how I had such a taste for biscuits and was even thinking of asking everyone for their favorite recipe/method.

Hi Walt, welcome to the forum! Glad you brought this up.
Please join us often.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: baking powder biscuits and scones by bjcotton (Geez Roxanne, the on...)
You lucky devil!!!!! We peons have to make do with our "homemade" stuff---ya know, what we remember from our childhood and the STATES???? That recipe Ron posted is pretty good!!! Made that, done that and on our list for biscuits!!!

Hope Walt will try it and have a successful adventure---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Welcome, Walt,

I think the secret is in the aforementioned (geez, I sound like Perry Mason) as little handling as possible. I have the best luck when I practically ignore the darn things.

Ron, your recipe sounds good.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: baking powder biscuits and scones by pjcooks (Welcome, Walt,[br][b...)
Wonder if straight all-purpose flour will work? Don't keep bread flour around the house.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: baking powder biscuits and scones by bjcotton (Wonder if straight a...)
I don't either BJ. Welcome Walt...hope to see you often! I make biscuits quite often and try different recipes all the time. Although Angel Biscuits are my favorite, I don't often take the time to let the yeast rise.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: baking powder biscuits and scones by Half_Baked (I don't either BJ. ...)
Shocking I know, but I have never made scones. I do notice that sometimes there is a sort of hard unpleasnat back taste, what is it? Too much soda?