Montmorency Cherries
  Re: (...)
Some time ago, Cuisine Home printed a recipe for "The Best Cherry Pie," made with Montmorency Cherries. I have since lost/misplaced the issue. May I please have that recipe again? BTW, I tried to order the cherries and was told I have to order them dried as the Montmorency's are so perishable they are not shippable. Thanks much.
  Re: Montmorency Cherries by swilliams (Some time ago, Cuisi...)
Tart Cherry Pie
(Cuisine, August 2000, Issue 22, p. 37)

Makes: One 9 Total Time: 1 Hour 35-45 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Dough—
Combine:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 T. sugar
1/4 t. kosher salt

Cut in:
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening

Stir in:
10 –12 T. ice water

For the Filling—
Combine (If Needed):
6 cups frozen cherries (2 lbs.), thawed (reserve 1 cup cherry juice)
Apple-cherry juice concentrate, thawed, (to make 1 cup juice)
1 1/3 cups sugar
3 T. instant tapioca, ground
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/4 t. almond extract
Pinch of salt

Brush with:
1/4 cup half & half
3 T. cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 425°. Bake pie on a baking sheet in lower third of oven.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Cut in butter and shortening with pastry blender.

Stir in water 3–4 T. at a time using a fork. It shouldn’t be sticky. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 minutes before rolling out (may be made one day ahead). On lightly floured surface, roll half the dough into a 12" circle about 1/8" thick. Transfer circle to 9" glass pie plate— first fold it into quarters, then unfold it in the plate. Without stretching, adjust circle so it reaches the edges. Chill dough while weaving the lattice. For the lattice top, roll the remaining pie dough into a 12" square about 1/8" thick. Don’t panic if your square is uneven—mine is. Use a pastry or pizza wheel to trim edges, if necessary; cut 1/2" wide strips. The shorter pieces can be placed at the sides. Place the traced parchment on the back of a baking sheet. Lay half of the strips (12) vertically across the circle. Use any shorter strips on the sides. To weave, fold back the “odd” strips (1, 3, 5, etc.) halfway to the center of the circle. Lay a strip horizontally across the middle; then fold up the odd strips. Now fold back the “even” strips (2, 4, 6, etc.) and place another strip horizontally across. Continue weaving until half the strips (about 6) are used. Once you’ve woven to the end, turn the pan around and weave the other half with the remaining strips. Chill. Don’t freeze or the strips will break. Preheat oven to 425°.

Combine thawed cherries (and juice), sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, almond extract, and salt. Fill the chilled pie shell. Before baking, transfer lattice to pie. Place a second piece of parchment on top of chilled lattice. Lifting bottom sheet, drape lattice over your forearm. Remove bottom sheet, then carefully place lattice over filled pie shell. Remove top sheet; adjust lattice strips. It’s okay if they’re not perfectly even. Leaving 1" overhang, trim dough from sides using kitchen shears. Press lattice and bottom crust together, turn edge under, and crimp.

Brush the lattice with half & half (it’s okay if it drips into the filling); sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake pie on a baking sheet (to catch overflow) in lower third of oven for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° and bake 20–30 more minutes, until filling is thickened and bubbly, and crust is browned. Cool.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/8th):
699 calories 39% calories from fat 31g total fat 104g carb. 79mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com
Tammy
  Re: Re: Montmorency Cherries by TwilightKitten (Tart Cherry Pie[br](...)
That's it!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe. Do you know anything about Montmorency Cherries and where I can get them frozen to make this pie? A local store in my area has them but they're like canned in a jar wondering will it work in this recipe.
Thanks
swilliams
MD
  Re: Re: Montmorency Cherries by swilliams (That's it!!!! Thank...)
It will definitely work----just be sure to drain the juices thoroughly!!! Set over a sieve--but save those juices for another recipe!!!! I made this pie with soured cherries and it was great---added a little sugar blend but that is the beauty of cooking---change according to what you have available. Let us know what you come up with on your result!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy