Pork Cutlets Diane
  Re: (...)
We finally had the Pork Cutlets today. My skillet instructions say NOT to cook on high heat, so I cooked the cutlets on medium-high. They turned out a little on the tough side, but still good. This could be from my sis NOT wanting pink inside her pork...probably is.

The recipe says to season the cutlets with salt and pepper; next time I will season them lightly rather than as I did today. The sauce turned out a little salty and spicy from the freshly ground Sarawak pepper berries. Overall, I would cut the cutlets a little thicker than I did this time, since Fredia wanted them done. I think the Smashed Red Potatoes would have gone better with the cutlets than the Idaho mashed.

I would give this meal [the cutlets and sauce only] a 6 or 7. I would prepare again, but not to impress anyone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/b...iane-1.jpg
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by bjcotton (We finally had the P...)
I made this last week and I cut pork fairly thin and cooked it on high heat. They were certainly done, but not overcooked. The recipe produced a larger quantity of "gravy" than we expected and I thought we should make a mashed potato or noodles to enjoy the gravy. Gravy wouldn't go well over the smashed reds, IMHO. I used a pepper melange (sp?) and kosher salt. Overseasoning wasn't an issue here.

We would rank this recipe 6-7 also - good enough to try again for a weeknight dinner.
  Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by bjcotton (We finally had the P...)
think brining, Billy...

(my boneless, dry porkchops were melt in your mouth!!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by cjs (think brining, Billy...)
You're right Jean sweetheart, I didn't brine, which I usually do.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by bjcotton (You're right Jean sw...)
I never brine anything, so how do you do it and for how long? What would be a reasonable amount of brine to use for 2 people? And since most brines are salty, do you rinse them off? Thanks.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by Mare749 (I never brine anythi...)
This is the easiest, fastest brine that I use for just about everything. You can add whatever herbs, seasonings you want, but I just use this basic brine and add my seasonings and flavors later.

For every qt. of cold water, add 1/4 c. kosher salt, 1/8 c. (2 T.) of each: brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk till sugars and salt are dissolved - just takes a minute.

Submerge you meat/poultry in the brine, cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Remove, rinse well and pat dry with paper towels. Proceed with however you want to prepare the meat.

The boneless, skinless chicken breasts and the pork chops especially benefit from brining.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by cjs (This is the easiest,...)
Yep Maryann, works like a charm. I brined a pork tenderloin before I grilled it...oh man, melt in your mouth and fork tender.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by cjs (This is the easiest,...)
Okay, that certainly sounds easy enough. I'll try it.
Thank you!!!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by bjcotton (Yep Maryann, works l...)
Jean's brining technique really does work beautifully!! Once you start and note the results, you're gonna love it and there's no turning back!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pork Cutlets Diane by Roxanne 21 (Jean's brining techn...)
No turning back unless your memory fails

Billy