Review - Seafood Puttanesca C@H Perfect Pasta
  Re: (...)
Today MasterCook arrived and I installed it. Played around downloading one recipe -- Maryann's Mom's Biscott recipe and typing in tonight's dinner recipe ... Can't recall the Biscott recipe back out of the program, but I work on the computer with mega and minor databases all day for my job and I know that I will get the hang of this one before too long.

To the recipe review - it's definitely a keeper. We really liked the favor and simplicity of the dish. I used less red pepper flakes than it called for. You could make the tomato sauce and reheat it later adding the seafood to finish. I had a hard time finding an 8-oz pkg of clamari. I bought a 1-lb package and cut it frozen and saved the other half for a later use. The recipe claims it's for 4, but that's a lot of pasta per person. We served 3 and had about 2 servings left over.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Seafood Puttanesca

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound linguine
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
28 ounces canned tomatoes -- chopped
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup reserved pasta water
1/4 cup kalamata olive -- pitted and slivered
2 tablespoons capers -- drained
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 pound calamari -- rings
1/2 pound shrimp -- peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons parsley -- chopped

Bring large pot of salted water to boil for the linguine. Cook linguine according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water for later use.

Saute garlic, anchovy paste, and pepper flakes in olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. (Be sure not to cook the paste to long or its flavor will dominate in the sauce.)

Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and the reserved pasta water. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the olives, capers, and oregano. Simmer until slightly reduced, 10-15 minutes.

Stir in calamari and shrimp; simmer 3-4 minutes to cook through. Add parsley, season with salt and serve over linguine.

Source:
"Perfect Pasta"
Copyright:
"Cuisine at home"
Start to Finish Time:
"0:40"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 686 Calories; 15g Fat (19.2% calories from fat); 37g Protein; 100g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 218mg Cholesterol; 688mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : first made 5/16/07 for weeknight meal. Served with tossed salad & bread. Added Parmesan at the table. Yields more like 5 servings.

Lighter options:

Omit olive oil and use nonstick pan coated with nonstick spray - save 63 calories
Decrease olives to 2 T and save 20 calories
Reduce dry linguine to 12 oz, each portion is 3 instead of 4 oz and save 103 calories.
  Re: Review - Seafood Puttanesca C@H Perfect Pasta by HomeCulinarian (Today MasterCook arr...)
Thanks for the review, HomeCul, I've been eyeing this.

So you have Master Cook, I just installed mine last week and haven't really had the time to figure it out. Billy has lots of notes and tips he'd be happy to share. But if you do this for a living, you'll figure it out and then you all can help me!

Happy you liked the pasta!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Review - Seafood Puttanesca C@H Perfect Pasta by pjcooks (Thanks for the revie...)
I have this one earmarked, but haven't made it yet - thanks for the review!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review - Seafood Puttanesca C@H Perfect Pasta by cjs (I have this one earm...)
I don't think I've made this yet! Still sounds really good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com