Biting The Bullet!!!
  Re: (...)
Dang! I'm cooking and eating like I am still working my a$$ off in a kitchen 12-14 hours a day - and it's showing! I joined Weight Watcher's yesterday. I really need some structure to be able to loose this excess, so I'm giving them a try.

I'm still going to be trying new/old recipes, but I'll just have to be much more careful of how often. So, if you all see some new postings for some healthy recipes, you'll know I found some keepers!! I do have a lot that I used to cook for my customers when I was p.c.ing, so that ought to get me going until the paraphernalia arrives.

Wish me luck - and I would not be adverse to seeing some of your favorites (tried and true, please ) that keep you in line!

....sa gonna be a long, hot summer.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by cjs (Dang! I'm cooking an...)
My DH has been eating light and pushing me to cook lighter, so I've decided to follow the Weight Watcher's plan starting MONDAY. We're camping this weekend so I don't want to set myself up for disaster!!

One of the new special recipe sections that I'm working on for my website is for favorite WW recipes. I don't know if Mastercook does this but Living Cookbook has a tool that figures out WW points for each recipe. That is very helpful! I am also going to start a project where I cook my way through the WW cookbook, "Take Out Tonight."

So, you're not alone in your quest to lose some poundage, and let's share recipes while we're wasting away!! Good luck
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by SDRecipeGirl (My DH has been eatin...)
You're on Lori! this will be much more fun and, I'm sure easier doing it the buddy system way!!!

I don't think MasterCook has the ability to do that conversion...BILLY???????

Good luck to us both!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by cjs (You're on Lori! this...)
I hear you, Ladies!!! We've been trying to eat "healthy" the last few months. We even dug out the new bikes (bought 4 years ago that had never been used). Looking forward to the recipes!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by Lorraine (I hear you, Ladies!!...)
Bikes, yes! It's now nice enuf to ride ours down by the straits - it's a gorgeous ride.

we gonna be so svelte...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by cjs (Bikes, yes! It's now...)
For the last few weeks I have been back to trying to do better - what works for me though is cutting out starchy carbs - potatoes and pasta mostly. Small amounts of rice is ok - whole wheat bread in small portions is ok - I usually eat a lot of vegies and protien - most important for dinner for me - and eating a protien for breakfast. Any suggestions for a good protien breakfast would be appreciated - I can't eat eggs every day!

Here is what we had for dinner last night.

Chicken breast slightly pounded to even thickness and coated with cajun seasoning and grilled.

C@H black beans recipe from issue 45 I think - (the island pork menu.)

Sauted red and orange peppers and onions

Flour tortillas - in moderation ( normaly I would have eaten two or three but stuck to one and a half and should have stuck to one.)

It was delicious! Good combo of flavor.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by esgunn (For the last few wee...)
"black beans"

I knew someone would mention beans!! LOL I've been trying to eat more legumes this winter. I discovered wheat berries, and have been making a salad of them, and adding any chopped veg I have to it. I've also cut down on the pasta,and bread.

Doing laps in the pool will help also. It's fitting into the bathing suit that will be scary.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by Lorraine ("black beans"[br][br...)
Ya know!!! I have been on a major diet re-structure since DH's last visit with his cardiologist!!! He has lost 30 pounds with my alterations-----NO DESSERTS!!! VERY LITTLE BREAD!!!! OCCASIONAL pasta/rice!!!

I really hate to admit this but the C@H recipes were a bit too calorific and the fat content was a bit steep----BUT if one is a little innovative the recipes are awesome---especially if one does not have the original as a benchmark.

That said---I will post my review for the Fish Tacos--Issue 62 --- on a separate thread.

I visited Amazon today---ordered a "few" of those Weight Watcher books---they are not available here and I am really going to "BITE THE BULLET" with DH's needs!!!

I am looking forward to all of your input with "healthy heart" recipes!!! Reviews will be extremely important in this home!!! TIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by Lorraine ("black beans"[br][br...)
Um, I don't know if this is appropriate, tooting my own horn and all of that, but mostly all I cook is healthy recipes and I post many of them on my blog. Unless, of course, it's near a major holiday when I try not to think about stuff like fat grams and calories. Then I post the goodies!

I was getting concerned a couple of months ago when, despite my good intentions, I wasn't losing my Christmas Cookie Weight just by healthy eating alone. So (deep breath) I have been running for 40-45 minutes 3 times a week, biking 12-15 miles once an week, and doing a weight routine for 3 days. It's hell, but it appears to be working. What kills me is that I used to not even worry aout my weight. I could lose 5 pounds just by eating salads for a couple of weeks. Not any more... Now, even if I only want to "eat healthy", I have to exercise. Boooooooo!

ps- Honestly, if it was bad etiquitte on the forum to mention (Advertise???) my blog, please someone tell me.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Biting The Bullet!!! by cjs (Dang! I'm cooking an...)
Another reason to drop some excess pounds and save money! I'm also into healthy eating and tried WW, but stopped going because the woman who ran the program drove me to distraction! Ok, maybe it's just another feeble excuse!

BODY WEIGHT AND VEHICLE GASOLINE CONSUMPTION
Driving.ca (from The Associated Press; Canada, May 16) -- A study by U. of I. computer science professor Sheldon Jacobson and a graduate student calculated the additional cost of gasoline used Americans as a result of increased body weight. "If a person reduces the weight in their car, either by removing excess baggage, carrying around less weight in their trunk, or yes, even losing weight, they will indeed see a drop in their fuel consumption," Jacobson said.