Fish Tacos Issue 62 Review
  Re: (...)
This was an interesting experiment. Never thought that I would say this but this was a huge surprise!! I am one of those that seems to be a bit reluctant to try new things but
I will on occasion and always pleased whne I do---well, most of the time that is.

The slaw was incredibly tastey--loved the addition of apple to this--just the right tang for the recipe and the tartar sauce. Sauce---great!!!

The fish I cut into smaller pieces because the fish available to me was a bit thicker than usual---for some reason the Panko is always the star in this type of creation---never lets me down, light and browns beautifully golden with superb flaky fish!!!

I followed the recipe as stated---DH is not a huge taco fan but this was a WINNER!!! I will make again when fried can be on the menu-----not too often I'm afraid---I will rethink this one with an oven technique. FISH TACOS???? YEAH!!!!

OHHHHH--and the mango coconut rice as a side was a great accompaniment---I found a bit too sweet and required a bit more water and cooking time for really soft, separate kernels. Interesting but not sure if I would do again-- A bland/mild pilaf would be better--IMHO!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Fish Tacos Issue 62 Review by Roxanne 21 (This was an interest...)
roxanne, you might like to try cooking your fish this way -

Use the coating ingred. called for in the above recipe, but lay the fish pces. on a rack and the rack on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 375 F. for 10 minutes; carefully with a spatula turn the fish over and continue baking until the fish reaches 140F.

Another coating that I use all the time is -

Coating:
1/2 cup parmesan cheese -- grated
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper

I cut the above in half or thirds now that I don't cook as much fish for just the two of us - altho, I will a lot of time cook extra fish so I hve leftovers for sandwiches next day or just the cold fish with some slaw. Love it.

"Oven Fried Fish" (or chicken even) is really great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos Issue 62 Review by cjs (roxanne, you might l...)
I still can't get my mind around fish in a taco...just doesn't fit
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos Issue 62 Review by bjcotton (I still can't get my...)
Try it----you'll like it!!!!!

I was extremely "couldn't get my head around fish in tacos" too but a nice change of pace meal. Even DH enjoyed which is a coup in itself!!!!!!!!!
  Re: Re: Fish Tacos Issue 62 Review by cjs (roxanne, you might l...)
Thanks Jean---I do fish in the oven frequently--will try this oven fried method!!