Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce)
  Re: (...)
Spaghetti Sauce

In a large pot, brown a couple pieces of pork (ribs work great)in some olive oil. Remove from pan and add:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped

Cook for a few minutes then add:
a handful of chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
a handful of fresh parsley
A sprinkle of red pepper flakes
12 oz. tomato paste
1 large can pureed tomatoes
5 cups of water
1/8 to 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Simmer on the stove 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Serve over any kind of pasta. Enjoy!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by Mare749 (Spaghetti Sauce[br][...)
Maryann, my recipe is very similar to your mom's, except I throw in a leftover rind of Reg-Parm (I store them in the freezer) instead of using grated.

My kids loved it when they were small.

Thanks for posting.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by pjcooks (Maryann, my recipe i...)
I do that too, p.j. and when I remove the rind, I love to scrape my teeth across the rind before I throw it away...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by pjcooks (Maryann, my recipe i...)
What a great idea for using the rind! Thanks.

The Gravy sounds delish too! And the paste. All will be copied for when my tomato harvest starts (Probably September!)
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by cjs (I do that too, p.j. ...)
Quote:

I do that too, p.j. and when I remove the rind, I love to scrape my teeth across the rind before I throw it away...

Will people think we're wierd because we like Parm/Reg rind? I'll dice the good part and snack until it's gone. Really gone.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I sure don't think it's weird, but then I just love the stuff. I forgot to add to my post, that I usually add some dry red wine to my sauce, but that's what I do, not what my mom did.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by Mare749 (Spaghetti Sauce[br][...)
My mother-in-law added fennel, a bay leaf and double the garlic. She also added and "fried" the tomato paste with the sauted vegetables before adding the remaining ingredients. Delish!!!
  Re: Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by Mare749 (I sure don't think i...)
I always use the rind in my Minestrone soup----YUMMM!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
If you would substitute two cups of chicken stock and one cup of dry white wine for some of the water it would add a really subtle depth of flavor.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Mom's recipe for Gravy (spaghetti sauce) by Roxanne 21 (I always use the rin...)
That's what one of my nieces does with her [I should say my] parmesan cheese rinds Roxanne.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy