Pozole Friday
  Re: (...)
I tried to invent a quickie version of Pozole today. Even tho' it's not Thursday (the traditional Polole making day in Zihua)and best of all it didn't take hours and hours to make. I want to share it with you all so those of you who are familiar with the dish can critique it and perhaps it will raise curiosity with others.
This is what I did:
2 small IQF chix breasts cut in strips
simmered in @ 3 14oz cans of chix broth, season to taste
Add 1 large onion sliced and about a 1/2 29oz can of hominy
throw in 1T diced jalapeƱos. I also added a spice someone gave me from Mexico. But the little label fell off, I think it was annatto but I'm not sure. Anyway this tasted so close to what we had in Zihua. Served with "oven fried, Jean" corn tortillas. We love flour tortillas but in this case the corn went better. Garnish with diced cactus and diced avacado. I hope some of you will give it a try and let me know what you think.
Cis
btw this serves 2 generously
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Pozole Friday by farnfam (I tried to invent a ...)
We have pozole on occasion, not regularly, but maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

What I want to know, is where in the world did you get cactus in upper NY? I'm closer and can't get them here.

edited to delete the word pears. I was in a tizzy because you could get cactus pears and I couldn't...until I discovered I'd imagined the word pears
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pozole Friday by bjcotton (We have pozole on oc...)
Got them in the Latino section but I don't think they're cactus pears. They say NOPALITOS on the jar, soft tender cactus. Sort of in a pickling type juice, but not too tart.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pozole Friday by bjcotton (We have pozole on oc...)
Well, I was wondering the same thing, but then I figured maybe you found them in a can or jar at a specialty store.
It's not something we see fresh here.

Oh, I almost forgot, thank you for posting this recipe. I'm anxious to try this.
Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pozole Friday by Mare749 (Well, I was wonderin...)
It was a very lovely light supper and good for a cold day like today was. The best part was that it didn't really take all that long. Probbly due to the canned hominy
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Pozole Friday by farnfam (It was a very lovely...)
How funny - when I first bot the book, Food Lover's Companion, there was a definition for Pozole (Posole) in it that I copied like it was a recipe - to try sometime.

This is her definition - "A thick hearty soup...consisting of pork (sometimes chicken) meat and broth, hominy, onion, garlic, dried chiles and cilantro. It's usually served with chopped lettuce, radishes, onions, cheese and cilantro, which diners can add to the soup as they please."

It's one of those, "I'm going to try some day" dishes! Sounds like I'd better start with yours and play with the above also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pozole Friday by cjs (How funny - when I f...)
No hominy here---another sub????
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pozole Friday by Roxanne 21 (No hominy here---ano...)
Hominy is a hard one to sub for Roxanne. It has its own unique taste. Maybe someone will know a close sub for it. I love hominy with a little butter and salt, an old Southron dish.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pozole Friday by bjcotton (Hominy is a hard one...)
Rox, this what I got from Google, hope it's a little helpful. It'd be cool to have such a traditional Mexican dish cooked in South Africa.
Cis

Hominy Chili With BeansNote: If hominy is not available, you can substitute 1 (11-ounce) can vacuum-packed white corn or 1 (15.25-ounce) can whole-kernel corn, drained. Hominy ...
www.webmd.com/content/article/56/65728 - 39k - Cached - Similar pages
Cis
Empress for Life