Ahi Tuna Tacos
  Re: (...)
A good friend came to dinner Saturday night. He's recovering from a stroke and is on a fairly strict diet - very low sodium and fat, and he needs to be careful about leafy greens because of his coumidin. Bob and I came up with this:

Taco's
Fresh corn tortillas
1 lb ahi tuna, frozen, thawed, and well drained
fresh ground pepper (and salt if not restricted)
2 tbs light oil

Wasabi cream
1/2 c. plain yogurt
wasabi paste to taste
1 to 2 tsp fresh lime juice
Combine ingredients, adding wasabi paste to taste. Set aside.

"Pickled" cabbage salad
1/2 medium cabbage finely shredded
1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1/3 green bell pepper diced
2 med jalapenos seeded and diced
4 radishes thinly sliced
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. olive oil (or less to taste)
juice of 2 limes
fresh ground black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
2 tsp toasted cumin seed

Combine all ingredients - correct seasonings for your taste, and set aside to "pickle" for at least an hour - overnight is okay.

For tacos: Season both sides of the the tuna with pepper and salt (if desired). Cut into 1" x 4" strips. Heat oil in skillet and add tuna.
Cook just until seared on one side, turn and sear the other side. Remove from pan and slice into smaller pieces.

Place a spoonful of pickled veggies in the center of the taco, add slices of tuna and dress with wasabi cream.

We served this with a rice and black bean salad, & coconut angel food cake with sorbet and fresh pineapple for dessert.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Ahi Tuna Tacos by Harborwitch (A good friend came t...)
Just some info.

A decent site for looking up nutrition lables for items is http://www.calorieking.com/

This way you can see how much sodium, fat, carbs etc are in an item before you use it. Makes it easier to think of substitutes rather than while you're at the store going "WHAT? This thing has how much salt? What am I going to do now?"

Um...or am I the only one that gets that look..?
  Re: Re: Ahi Tuna Tacos by DFen911 (Just some info.[br][...)
That is a wonderful website, Denise! I have a pocket size paperback put out by them. It's a great little book.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."