REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich
  Re: (...)
Tonight we made the Italian Steak Sandwiches from the C@H Weeknight Grilling Cookbook. It was Fab-ooo. Since there has been some recent posts and interests in WW recipes, forget this one if your counting points! The calories per sandwich are 963!!! No wonder we loved it

We followed the recipe exactly and used spinach rather than watercress. The doctored mayonnaise is a terrific blend of flavors and will be good on sandwiches. I think that one-half sandwich per person would satisfy, except we both ate an entire sandwich because it was soooo good. We walked for an hour before dinner, so I hope that counts for something.

Tomorrow night, the Korean Style Tuna Steaks is up for trial.
  Re: REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich by HomeCulinarian (Tonight we made the ...)
I'll keep this in mind for a 'splurge' day!! - but, guess I'd better order the book first...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich by cjs (I'll keep this in mi...)
" I think that one-half sandwich per person would satisfy, except we both ate an entire sandwich because it was soooo good."

rofl - that happens to me quite a bit, too!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
Thanks for the heads-up on the calories. I guess I'll be avoiding this one until I deserve to have a bad day!!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
Bump For Daphne - I am pretty sure some others have tried them also. They are on my list to make. They were originally in June 2006 issue 57. I don't know how to get back in the archived posts over 2 years.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich by esgunn (Bump For Daphne - I ...)
Thanks Erin! You're great! I tried several searches, but no luck! I got next week's menu set, but this will be on the next one....already got it saved to MC9.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Erin! You're...)
Bringing this back up for my review.

We had these tonight and I'll have to say they were VERY tastey. William gave them a 9+...and he doesn't usually like having to rate new recipes! This time he jumped at the chance. I used roasted peppers in a jar packed with water, so I will definitely use home roasted next time...I know that will make it even better. (Don't ask me why I got those, just a stupid choice of options.)I also made a little mistake and added the olive oil into the mayo, not a total loss, just a little more loose than it should be. That is easily fixed next time...LOL!

I look forward to having these often through the summer for a quick and easy meal! The family is looking forward to having the leftover "mayo" as a dip for the next few days. YUM!!!!

Forgot to add, I made my own rolls using the popcorn bread recipe...WOW!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich by Gourmet_Mom (Bringing this back u...)
I went to the CAH recipes and couldn't find that recipe. Is there perhaps another name for it?

Here's what I found:

Bistecca Sandwich
(Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 47)
Makes: 4 Sandwiches Total Time: About 40 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Mayonnaise—
Puree in a Food Processor:
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
3/4 cup jarred roasted red bell peppers
2 T. creamy Gorgonzola cheese
1/4 cup shallots, chopped

Add and Pulse; Season with:
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

For the Steak and Sandwich—
Combine:
1 T. olive oil
2 T. fresh minced parsley
1 T. fresh minced thyme
1 T. fresh minced rosemary
1/4 t. red pepper flakes

Grill; Slice and Toss with:
1 sirloin steak (1–1 1/2 lb.)
Oil-herb mixture

Brush with Olive Oil and Grill:
4 ciabatta rolls, halved

Assemble Sandwiches with:
2 cups watercress or fresh baby spinach
Roasted Pepper Mayonnaise

Puree mayonnaise, peppers, Gorgonzola, and shallots in a food processor until smooth.

Add parsley and pulse until chopped. Season with salt and pepper; cover and chill. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.

Combine oil, herbs, and pepper flakes for the steak; set aside.

Grill steak on both sides to desired doneness (about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare). Remove steak from the grill; let rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. Toss steak strips with oil-herb mixture and season.

Brush the cut sides of the rolls with oil and grill until toasted while steak rests.

To assemble, divide watercress evenly among bottom halves of rolls; top with slices of steak. Spoon mayonnaise over steak, then top sandwiches with remaining rolls. Cut sandwiches in half, then serve.

Resting the steak will allow the juices to redistribute into the meat. Cutting the steak on the bias keeps the meat tender.
Layer watercress, sliced steak and mayonnaise on top of ciabatta rolls. Cut on the bias and serve.
  Re: Re: REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich by bjcotton (I went to the CAH re...)
That's the exact same recipe, but by a different name in the Cuisine Tonight Book. HMMMMM? I'll add this title to my MC recipe so I can connect the two.

I forgot, I used spinach instead of watercress also. The recipe in my book calls for hotdog buns instead of ciabatta rolls. Like I said, I made "rolls" from a third of the popcorn bread recipe...but hotdog buns would work just as well...just smaller sammies. I would have had to eat two that size though...LOL!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: REVIEW - Italian Steak Sandwich by Gourmet_Mom (That's the exact sam...)
OK, this is interesting...not exact, but sooo close it's strange....

* Exported from MasterCook *

Italian Steak Sandwich with Pepper Mayo (Bistecca Sandwich)

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
3/4 cup roasted red peppers -- chopped
1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese -- creamy
1/4 cup shallots -- chopped
salt and pepper -- to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme -- minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary -- minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak
1/2 Baguettes -- made into hot dog rolls
2 cups spinach leaves -- or watercress

Preheat grill to medium-high.

Puree mayo, bell pepper, gorgonzola, and shallots in a food processor until smooth. Add 1/2 cup parsley, pulse until chopped, and season; cover and chill.

Combine oil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and pepper flakes for the steak in a bowl; set aside.

Grill steak on both sides to desired doneness (about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare). Remove steak from grill and let rest 5 minutes.

Thinly slice steak against the grain, then toss strips in the oil-herb mixture; season with salt and pepper.

Toast rolls on the grill, cut side down. To assemble sandwiches, divided spinach among bottom halves of rolls; top with sliced steak. Spoon mayo over steak, top with remaining rolls, and cut in half.

Source:
"Cuisine Tonight page 15 and (Cuisine at home, June 2006, Issue 57, p. 47)"
Daphne