Black Bean Fiesta Salad
  Re: (...)
This is a really good summer salad!!! Will add the tweeking at the end.

(Lorraine, this would be a perfect 'take to work' lunch - know you're always looking for ideas!)

Black Bean Fiesta Salad
from Simply the Best (W.W.book)

3 T. Lemon juice
2 T. e-v olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. grd. cumin
1/2 tsp. freshly grd. black pepper
19-oz. can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernals
2 stalks celery, diced
1 gr. bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup (3 oz.) reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese

In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, garlic, cumin and black pepper.
Add the beans, corn, celery, bell peppers and onion; toss to coat.
Serve, topped with cheese.

After I had the dressing ingredients in, it needed something more, so I added (to taste) dried basil, parsley & oregano (since it's so good, next time I'll add fresh!) and 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar. Made all the difference.

Also, I had corn to grill - so omitted adding the corn and instead grilled, cut the corn off the cobs and added (hot) to the salad. The warm, grilled corn just added a great flavor!

The salad serves 8 and is 3 points.
This one will be made a lot this summer. Served it with a grilled sirloin - marinated in (I used half since I just had a small steak - could have used a third )
1 1/2 T. prepard mustard
3 T. each: red wine, low-sodium soy, lemon juice, worcestershire

Yum!!
the meat/marinade worked out to 5 points.

with a slice of sourdough bread, it worked out to 12 points and we were pleanty satisfied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Black Bean Fiesta Salad by cjs (This is a really goo...)
That sounds really good. We always keep black beans in the pantry - they make a wonderful salad!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
It sounds great. There is a salad I love at one of the local restaurants. It is a black bean salad with grilled salmon. Might have to use this recipe and add the salmon! Yum.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Black Bean Fiesta Salad by esgunn (It sounds great. T...)
That sounds really good Jean. Similar to one I use in the summer, only this sounds even better. And I really like how you "tweak" it. I'll bet all those things really made a difference. Thanks for sharing this.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I love that salad--the grilled corn is a touch of tweeking in the right way. I eat this kind of stuff all the time. For me, I would add a chopped jalapeno or serrano pepper--I just like that accent.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Black Bean Fiesta Salad by Harborwitch (That sounds really g...)
I know this is probably a DUMB question but here goes!!

We do not have black beans here---would kidney or cannellini work as well?

This recipe looks like a keeper---thanks again, Jean
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Black Bean Fiesta Salad by Roxanne 21 (I know this is proba...)
Bill, we're on the same wavelength!! I wrote on the recipe to add a jalapeno next time - I think it needs it too

Roxanne, I'm going to have to call your mother to send you a few packages of dried black beans, I guess They would be easy to send.

Until then, tho, why not try whatever beans you especially like - I would.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Black Bean Fiesta Salad by cjs (Bill, we're on the s...)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Black Bean Fiesta Salad by Roxanne 21 ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Thanks, Jean. I must confess, tho, I don't think I've ever had a black bean in my life. Time to try something new!!! I'll send the recipe to his nibs, he loves beans!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Black Bean Fiesta Salad by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. I mus...)
I have this chilling in the frig right now. I spent all morning making yog/cuke salad, barley, wild rice and brown rice. I grilled 4 chicken breasts last night and Mr HB picked an armful of lettuce from the garden.

My frig is full of healthy lunches. Whew! I binged this weekend and have to straighten my happy azz up.

I added the balsalmic per Jean's suggestion. It just needed something. Next time I taste, I'll add some herbs because it's just not right...maybe some more jalapeno?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.