Favorite cooking tool recommendations?
  Re: (...)
I just read Mark Bittman's article in the NYT Dining section about how he can stock a kitchen with "essentials" for under $300. Very interesting article, btw. He includes his list of pots, pans, tools, etc. So, I'm wondering what y'all have on *your* list of kitchen essentials, or the tool(s) that you really love. I have a pretty well-stocked kitchen, but I do have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm always looking for cool ideas and happy to buy new kitchen stuff. :-)
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by jenni (I just read Mark Bit...)
Oooh, birthday money !!!

The problem I find with lists is that they're so subjective. I read this article (it was published a few weeks ago, right?) and agreed with some of Bittman's items, disagreed with others. People who do a lot of baking will have different "favorites" than those who do little baking.

I laughed when I read that Bittman doesn't find stand mixers "necessary"-- I'd be lost without my Kitchen Aid!

Now, we both agree that microplanes are wonderful. To answer your question, I couldn't do without my digital scale and thermometer, my silicone whisk, and my hard-anodized saute pan. Also my drum cheese grater and, silly enough, my wooden ruler so I can cut pretty, evenly-sized pieces of cake and brownies!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by foodfiend (Oooh, [i]birthday mo...)
You know your an adult when you want to spend your birthday money on kitchen utensils!

Mine would be my cuisinart food processor, my wustoff knives (but they really need a good sharpening!), and the heavy duty pots & pans I bought in 1978 (and, yes, we still use them every day.) It is called Thermo-core cookware and some guy came to my sorority when I was in college and I fell for the sales pitch. I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid $500 for a set then. It was big bucks! I think it was worth it, now.
  Re: Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by HomeCulinarian (You know your an adu...)
Let's see, various size tongs [a couple of years ago I didn't have any until I listened to these people, now I use them all the time], Cuisinart food processor, Kitchen Aid stand mixer, kitchen scales, several inexpensive thin plastic cutting boards, stainless pans & non-stick pans, digital thermometer, slow-cooker, I could go on and on Oh yes, several sets of measuring spoons and dry/wet measuring cups!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by HomeCulinarian (You know your an adu...)
Isn't that funny how most of us on this forum would spend our birthday on something for the kitchen?

Well, this is kind of tough since I'm the gadget queen and actually use most of them at one time or another. But, I would have to say that some of my favorite items are my Kitchen-Aid, my cast iron pots including a few pieces of LeCreuset, the food processor, and heat resistent spatulas.
Oh, and of course, the pepper mills, and the coffee grinder. Really, I could go on and on......

Jenni, do you have anything specific in mind that you are considering? I keep thinking maybe a tagine would be fun.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by Mare749 (Isn't that funny how...)
Speaking of pepper grinders, ours has spit downwards in to or three places now, and to grind one has to sort of hold it together and turn the top, which has a funny little nut thing on the top because I lost the top under a stove several houses ago. I can't understand it, we have only had it for 35 years and it was second hand when we got it.
  Re: Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by bjcotton (Let's see, various s...)
I agree with everybody---all those items are a must!! The most used as far as little gadgets in my kitchen are the microplanes, thermopen and garlic press--I also like my mini chopper and on and on and on and on....
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by Roxanne 21 (I agree with everybo...)
I have to say that I have several tools that I love, and I often wax poetically about them aloud in my kitchen (whether or not anyone is around to listen!). My microplane grater: was there ever a more efficient, easy-to-use tool for a job? Sigh! My Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Sigh! My Wusthof chef's knife. Sigh! My bright-orange silicone spoonula. Sigh! Sometimes I just stand in the kitchen and *love* my stuff. (I wish I were kidding!) Oooo, here's a new acquisition: a friend bought me a nested set of melanine prep bowls. They have measurement lines inside the bowls (love it!) and the bowls are covered in pastel polka dots. LOVE THEM! My 5-year-old seems to love them, too and I've got to keep her greedy paws off of them. :-)
Things that I've been considering: I have no tongs, and I've been thinking that I should get a set. Thanks for the rec, Billy. Maybe silicone-tipped? I'm thinking about a new pepper grinder. My little cheapo $7 one is a literally a pain to use--not terribly ergonomic. I really want a covered 12 or 14-inch saute pan (with straight sides). I saw a beautiful Kitchen Aid Gourmet Essentials version of this pan at Marshalls for $35 a month or two ago. Didn't buy it when I saw it, then went back for it and it was gone! I saw it again at Kohls...for $99. (Vicci knows my pain!) Other suggestions are always welcome.

And another random question: How do you all measure freshly-ground pepper? Do you grate a bunch and then pull out a measuring spoon (and then what do you do with the leftover ground pepper)? Or do you eyeball it straight into the pan or whatever?
-jenni

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf
  Re: Re: Favorite cooking tool recommendations? by Roxanne 21 (I agree with everybo...)
I love my mandoline. And the sausage attachment for the KA. I'd buy a spaetzle maker.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
"some guy came to my sorority when I was in college and I fell for the sales pitch. I don't remember exactly, but I think I paid $500 for a set then. It was big bucks!"

Ye gads, I wonder if he was the same smooth-talker who sold my wife the Kirby vacuum!!!