Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins
  Re: (...)
Sorry to those on a diet - these didn't fit into my eating plan - my watch it plan. That is what my husband calls it - are you dieting? No I am just trying to watch it!

Anyway - I needed to use up some buttermilk and did a search in MC. Came accross these - YUM! Made them this morning with frozen raspberries from last summer. They were a real hit.

One Note - They made 18 muffins for me - recipe says 12. I was out of all purpose flour and used bread flour so I don't know if that was the cause or not. Didn't really hurt the muffins but the batter/dough was thicker than I am used to for a muffin.

Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Muffin

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
STREUSEL TOPPING
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel

MUFFINS
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups whole frozen raspberries (about 6 oz) -- do not thaw
1 tablespoon flour

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400º. Stir all
streusel ingredients together to form soft, crumbly dough. Set aside.

Whisk dry muffin ingredients and lemon peel together. In a separate bowl,
combine all liquid ingredients. Add in dry ingredients and stir until
almost fully incorporated. Toss frozen raspberries with flour to coat,
then gently fold into dough, handling only enough to incorporate berries.
Using paper muffin cup liners, fill each cup until 1/4" from top. Crumble
streusel topping over each.

Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º and bake for another 10
minutes, or until lightly browned and muffin springs back when pressed
lightly with fingertip.

Makes 9 large or 12 standard size

Source:
"Oregon Raspberry & Blackberry Commission"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.oregon-berries.com/"
Yield:
"12 Muffins"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins by esgunn (Sorry to those on a ...)
Sounds yummy!

Do you ever use the powdered buttermilk instead of fresh? http://www.sacofoods.com/culteredbuttermilkblend.html

I have been using it instead of fresh buttermilk for small quantities in most of my recipes for years, especially for baking.
  Re: Re: Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins by HomeCulinarian (Sounds yummy![br][br...)
OMG, I am so excited that you brought this up, Erin. I have some frozen rasberries I should use up. This would be a good thing to make over the weekend. Dieting or not, there's always portion control! (Not that I'm any good at it!) Thanks for the recipe.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins by Mare749 (OMG, I am so excited...)
Thank you!!! I also have frozen raspberries. I usually make mini muffins. (in little tart pans) I can probably get 40-50!!!! I'm always on the lookout for grat muffin recipes!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins by HomeCulinarian (Sounds yummy![br][br...)
No, I keep meaning to pick some up. This buttermilk was actually from my mom. She made a lemon chess pie and had it left over. I was just trying to use up hers. As soon as I pick up some regular flour I will make another batch. We are already down to only two muffins left!
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins by Lorraine (Thank you!!! I also ...)
Maryann and Loraine. I hope you enjoy them. We sure did. If you really like lemon they could take even more lemon flavor - either a little more lemon juice or more lemon zest in the batter. I think the amount in the streusel was fine.

I think this would be a great recipe to serve at a brunch or for guests.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins by esgunn (Maryann and Loraine....)
This is on my list for the bake sale. And for home!!! I think I would use the lemon zest, not the juice. Thanks again!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Raspberry Lemon Streusel Muffins by Lorraine (This is on my list f...)
me too - I'm looking for ways to use up my last year's raspberries!! Sounds good, erin!

" I think I would use the lemon zest, not the juice" or a little more of both.

That's funny erin, when I did a buttermilk search on M.C. (for the same reason) that muffin recipe came up along with 195 other recipes!!!! and I had earmarked it to make.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com