Spatchcock Chicken???
  Re: (...)
Has anyone prepared a chicken in this way? The backbone is cut and removed, the chicken is flattened, then marinated and grilled. I have a recipe that is in my “to try” file for the next week or two, and I have a question about cutting and removing the backbone—the directions say “using kitchen shears, cut chicken down each side of the backbone, remove the backbone; turn chicken breast side up and press firmly on breastbone to flatten”. Okay, this sounds too easy. Does the backbone really come out that easily, especially since the chicken will be uncooked?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by foodfiend (Has anyone prepared ...)
If you have good kitchen shears, it is easy. I think Billy posted pictures of his a few weeks ago. I do it all the time with a pair of Henckel scissors. I love chicken done that way!!! Good luck with it!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by Lorraine (If you have good kit...)
Thanks Lorraine. I've never prepared a chicken in this way before. I checked and my kitchen scissors are Chicago Cutlery. Looks like I'll need to add some Henckels to my next Amazon order (my favorite knives are Henckels, so I can convince myself that the scissors have to "match").

Also, what model (?) do you have? I've seen about 5 different kinds of Henckel's kitchen shears on the Amazon website. Does yours happen to have a blue or a red plastic circle (which I'm assuming is covering the "nut" where the 2 pieces are joined)?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by foodfiend (Has anyone prepared ...)
Food this is the way that coke brined chicken is done and it works wonderfully

Take your cutting shears and work from the tail area up. You will encounter resistance as the shoulder blade where the wing attaches. Simply cut inwards just a tad and pull a little to expose it and follow the line up to the neck opening.

If you're good with a filet knife you can use it to expose everything and use that line to make your cuts with your shears.
  Re: Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by DFen911 (Food this is the way...)
Thanks Denise, I've been wanting to try this ever since Billy showed us a beautiful photo of perfectly cooked chicken.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by DFen911 (Food this is the way...)
Denise, I'm trying to figure this out-- you have a chicken, backbone-less, flattened and grilled-- how do you carve this thing?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by foodfiend (Denise, I'm trying t...)
Just cut it into servings like you were mangling any old chicken, drumstick, thigh, wing, etc. It's really easy. Also if you want and have a long bladed knife, turn the chicken on its back, stick the knife blade complete through and out the neck, place it right next to the backbone, hold down the handle and whack the end with a rubber mallet, cuts right through. The do the other side of the backbone. If you cut part way through the breast bone from tail to neck it splits and flattens easier when you press on the breast. If you have sqewers, you can run them from one thigh through the breast to the opposite wing area and then do it from the opposite thigh and it will hold the chicken flat while it cooks. Tuck the wings back as if you are going to roast it too.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by bjcotton (Just cut it into ser...)
it really is a great way to cook a chicken.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by foodfiend (Thanks Lorraine. I'...)
And I'm soooo spoiled!!!! Spatchcocks are readily available here---and they can be marinated with whatver spices/herbs you wish!!!! Ah HA!!! Got one up on you guys!!! I haven't cooked one yet though---now I have to really consider this one----nice and light and tasty sounding!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Spatchcock Chicken??? by foodfiend (Denise, I'm trying t...)
Food - I did it two ways. One was to remove the back bone and split the chicken in half at the breast line.

The second was to just remove the back bone and grill it whole. You can carve it up just like a regular chicken and remove the legs, thighs, breasts etc.

But do make that coke brined chicken That is one not to miss!