Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers recipe
  Re: (...)
I've been making these for years, from a 1996 Bon Appetit recipe. Since many of us will be doing some grilling this weekend, I thought I'd pass this recipe along:

GOAT CHEESE-STUFFED TURKEY BURGERS WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER RELISH

The goat cheese and relish keep these burgers especially moist. For a nice variation, omit the goat cheese, and top the turkey burgers with sliced Havarti or Monterey Jack cheese during the last few minutes of cooking. Set out bowls of pickles and olives, and pour chilled Chardonnay throughout the meal.

1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
6 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoons soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)

6 whole wheat, hamburger buns

3 tablespoons olive oil
4 7-ounce jars roasted sweet red peppers, rinsed, drained, patted dry, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
3 teaspoons finely chopped garlic

4 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

For Burgers:
Combine turkey, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, lemon peel, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl. Mix well. Divide turkey mixture into 6 equal portions. Form 1 portion into two 4-inch diameter patties. Place 1 tablespoon goat cheese atop 1 turkey patty; place second patty atop cheese. Seal patties at edges to enclose cheese. Repeat with remaining 5 portions. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Grill hamburger buns, cut side down, until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Place turkey burgers on bottom half of buns. Top burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Relish, then bun tops and serve.

For Relish:
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red peppers and sauté 2 minutes. Add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.

Mix vinegar and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Stir vinegar mixture into red peppers. Mix in mustard and cayenne pepper. Season with salt. Continue cooking relish until all liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Cool to room temperature. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.) Makes about 2 cups.

Serves 6.

Bon Appétit
July 1996
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers recipe by foodfiend (I've been making the...)
Thank you, Vicci, goat cheese and roasted reds are 2 of my favorite things. This is a good time to try this, I can throw a steak on for the Picky One, Picky Jr can have reg burgers and I can go gourmet (well, bon appetite).

Thanks for posting the recipe!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers recipe by pjcooks (Thank you, Vicci, go...)
Thanks Vicci, that works for me too, especially since I'm trying to eat a bit lighter these days, and DH just can't give up the red meat yet.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers recipe by foodfiend (I've been making the...)
Mmmmmmmm! Love anything w/ goat cheese- thank you!
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
Yummy, Vicci, I cheated and used the roasted red pepper relish I had on hand but this was very very good. I think I'm actually starting to prefer ground turkey to ground beef.

Thanks for this recipe, it's a keeper!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers recipe by pjcooks (Yummy, Vicci, I chea...)
oh my, how did I miss this post...right up our alley.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Goat Cheese-Stuffed Turkey Burgers recipe by cjs (oh my, how did I mis...)
I made these on Monday for dinner but since Jack doesn't like goat cheese I used cheddar for his, instead. Although he said that his were really good, I swooned when I ate mine. And I didn't feel at all badly that I was enjoying my burger more than he was enjoying his. Poor man-- he just doesn't understand!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com