Corn on the Grill
  Re: (...)
Ok, I have never done this. What way have you found is the most successful.

1. Especially if you want to use the corn in a recipe - like the black bean fiesta salad

2. A really flavorful corn as a side dish

Thanks for any tips.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Corn on the Grill by esgunn (Ok, I have never don...)
I grill everything

Corn on the cob you can do several ways. One is to pull the husks down, but not off and remove the hairs. Soak the corn in water to get the husks really wet. Pull them back up to the top and ties with butchers twine (also soaked in water) Place on a med-hot grill for about 15 minutes turning often.

Now for a twist. Before pull the husk back up, dry off the corn and smear butter all around it. Squeeze 1/2 lime per ear of juice onto the corn and sprinkle some fresh chopped cilantro. Tie up as before and grill the same. YUM!

You can add anything you like for flavor. We also do it with butter and chili powder. Not a lot, just a bit goes a long way.

If your husks are too dry or it's too hard to remove the hairs you can do the same thing in foil.

You can also grill them right on the BBQ. Do not put butter on them, just put them on a low-med heat and turn them every couple of minutes. This will give you some nice grill lines. This way is also best if you are putting them in a salad, like I am do doing tonight

Grill Tequilla Lime Chicken, with grilled red onions and corn over a bed of green with a lime cilantro dressing.
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by DFen911 (I grill everything [...)
Ohhh, share the recipe please!

" Grill Tequilla Lime Chicken, with grilled red onions and corn over a bed of green with a lime cilantro dressing."
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by DFen911 (I grill everything [...)
You won't believe this until you try it, but it's true. Take your fresh corn, don't do a thing to it but put it on the grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning when the husk starts to burn. When you take it off, peel back the husk and the silks will slide right off. I used to hate to husk corn, but this is a cinch.

My brother gave me a tip recently that I have not tried yet, but sounds tasty. He takes a strip of bacon, wraps it around the already husked corn, wraps in foil and grills for about 30 minutes, turning often.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by esgunn (Ohhh, share the rec...)
I make a dressing of

2 ounces lime juice
2 ounces rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 ounce tequila
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Put all ingredients into a food processor till smooth.

This can be used to marinate your chicken too, just make extra. Grill your chicken (I prefer boneless thighs but my daughter likes breast meat) till done and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.

Grill up the corn and let cool enough to handle. Cut the kernels off with a very sharp paring knife.

I cut the onions into 1/2 inch slices. If you have a grill that has a small grill pattern you can place them directly ont the grill. If not get a grill pan. It has a lot of holes in it and toss the onion rings in some olive oil with salt and pepper and grill till desired doneness.

When ready to assemble, put your favorite greens onto the plate. Sprinkle the corn all over the greens. Take your chicken and slice into thin slices and place on top of the greens and top with the grilled onions.

For the dressing you can use the same vinaigrette you used to cook the chicken (a separate batch of course) or you can make a batch more creamy.

1/2 cup mayonnaise, preferably homemade
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons tequila
2-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 bunch of Cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

BBQ is offically lit!!
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by DFen911 (I make a dressing of...)
Thanks - sounds great!

And thanks to you and Maryann for your corn tips.
Erin
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by esgunn (Thanks - sounds grea...)
I had to edit the post above..gads forgot about the 1/4 cup of sour cream to the creamy dressing.

So sorry!
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by esgunn (Thanks - sounds grea...)
Like everyone else, I'm so hooked on grilled corn (well, grilled veggies and everything really!) - hope you like it as well, erin!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by cjs (Like everyone else, ...)
Y'all are just too much! Well, I guess I am too! For a bunch of supposedly grown people, we sure do get excited over the smallest things don't we?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Corn on the Grill by bjcotton (Y'all are just too m...)
"Now for a twist. Before pull the husk back up, dry off the corn and smear butter all around it. Squeeze 1/2 lime per ear of juice onto the corn and sprinkle some fresh chopped cilantro. Tie up as before and grill the same. YUM"

Denise, I really like them that way, with a bit of smoked paprika added to the butter.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.