Polenta cake Oct. 2005 issue 53
  Re: (...)
I made the polenta cake with gorgonzola filling and it did not congeal when it baked, it tasted wonderful. So all was not a lost. I would have much rather sliced it verses spooning it onto a plate. The recipe did not not say to let cool, before slicing. Can anyone give me some pointers?
  Re: Polenta cake Oct. 2005 issue 53 by Nino (I made the polenta c...)
Welcome to the forums, Nino!! I did a search to find a thread where a few of us tried this recipe, but I couldn't find it! If I remember right, I thot the Gorgonzola filling was so rich we couldn't even enjoy it. It was really over the top. But, I don't remember the consistancy, altho I don't remember not slicing it...hmmmm, not very much help, am I? Maybe someone else will remember making this.

As far as your's not setting up, was it the filling? or did your polenta not set up?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Welcome to the forums Nino! Would you post the recipe for those of us who don't have it? Also, it might help us figure out a way to solve the problem.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Polenta cake Oct. 2005 issue 53 by cjs (Welcome to the forum...)
It was the polenta, I did not use all the cheese to cut back on the fat but I do not think that was the problem. When cooking the polenta it made like 12 cups but it only said to use a total of 6 cups. 2 cups on each layer.
Confused!
I made this polenta cake and it was just swimming in oil. First time I had entertained this couple too!!
  Re: Re: Polenta cake Oct. 2005 issue 53 by Bethp (I made this polenta ...)
Is this what you wanted?

Savory Polenta Layer Cake with Butter-Gorgonzola Filling
(Cuisine at home, October 2005, Issue 53, p. 25)

Makes: One 8-inch Pan Total Time: 2 Hours + Chilling Rating: Easy

For the Polenta—
Combine, Whisk in, and Cook:
10 cups cold water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 T. kosher salt
4 bay leaves
2 cups yellow cornmeal, medium-grind

For the Cake—
Assemble with:
6 cups prepared polenta
8 T. butter, divided
1 1/2 cups Gorgonzola, crumbled and divided
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided

Combine water, oil, salt, and bay leaves in a large pot. Pour in the cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking until incorporated. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, about 10 minutes. When thick and bubbling, reduce heat to low and partially cover. Cook until glossy, stirring often, for 25–35 minutes.

Assemble cake by first spreading 2 cups warm polenta in an 8–10" skillet or pan that has been rinsed with cold water. Dot with 21/2 T. butter, 3/4 cup Gorgonzola, and 2 T. Parmesan. Continue layering, finishing the third polenta layer with the remaining butter and Parmesan. Cover with plastic and chill 1–24 hours. Bake at 400°on a foil-lined baking sheet until sizzling and deep golden, 45–60 minutes.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Polenta cake Oct. 2005 issue 53 by Bethp (I made this polenta ...)
Ok, mine did too, but I even cut down on the cheese and butter. Thanks I am not feeling to bad about myself.
  Re: Re: Polenta cake Oct. 2005 issue 53 by Nino (It was the polenta, ...)
We tried this recipe for one of our dinner menus----many moons ago. The general consensus of opinion at that time was that it was not very good, will not make again, did not set up (meaning soupy), too greasy and very rich. I think this was the only recipe from C@H that has not had a very good rating from anyone.

WELCOME to the forum Nino---hope to see you around---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy