Fajita Salad - Issue #38
  Re: (...)
Tried this last nite (with leftover Birthday steak) and the flavors were very good - other than using jalapeno (which I had on hand) rather than the chipoltes, used just the ingredients called for, I think... I just msde two individual salads. I'll do this one again.

Fajita Salad
(Cuisine at home, April 2003, Issue 38, p. 15)
Makes: About 10 Cups

For the Dressing—
Combine:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 T. honey
2 T. yellow onion, grated
2 T. vegetable oil
2 T. water
1 t. (or to taste) chipotle chile in adobo, minced
1/4 t. ground cumin
Salt to taste

For the Flank Steak—
Marinate in 1/4 Cup Dressing:
1 lb. flank steak, trimmed

For the Salad—
Prepare:
1 bag (10 oz.) mixed romaine/leaf lettuce salad greens
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup corn chips, coarsely crumbled
1 can (14.5 oz.) black beans, drained, rinsed
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup scallions, sliced

Sear Steak in:
1 t. vegetable oil

Garnish Salad with:
Sour cream

Combine ingredients for dressing in a small bowl. Remove 1/4 cup for marinating flank steak; set remaining dressing aside.

Marinate steak in 1/4 cup dressing for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours. Chill if marinating the steak longer than 30 minutes, otherwise it may be marinated at room temperature.

Prepare ingredients for salad, keeping components separate. Heat oil for searing the steak in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Remove steak from marinade (discard the excess); season with salt and pepper.

Sear steak on both sides until medium-rare, 3–4 minutes per side. Transfer meat to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice steak against the grain with a sharp knife.

To assemble, layer half the greens in a deep glass bowl (a 12-cup trifle bowl is perfect). On the lettuce, layer half of each of the tomatoes, cheese, chips, beans, cilantro, scallions, and steak slices. Drizzle with half the dressing, then layer the rest of the ingredients. Pile the other half of the steak slices in the center, and drizzle remaining dressing on top.

Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and serve.

Nutrition Information (Per 3/4 cup):
238 calories 52% calories from fat 14g total fat 13g carb. 417mg sodium 3g fiber
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fajita Salad - Issue #38 by cjs (Tried this last nite...)
Once again, you find the best recipes. Instead of the ketchup (although the calories are negligible), using salsa would eliminate some sugar.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Fajita Salad - Issue #38 by Half_Baked (Once again, you find...)
I have done this recipe in the past---I agree----quite good!! As always, I make according to the recipe with no changes cuz I'm not quite sure about what the end result should be---those Mexican things are not on our familiar taste menus----if I remember correctly, I would not make any changes---it was quite tasty!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy