Chinese Chicken Salad
  Re: (...)
As of tonite, Roy is officially retired!! To celebrate we decided to have a favorite of ours, but a new version of it - Chinese Chicken Salad - and I don't think I've ever tasted a better one, ever!! It's an old Bon Appetit recipe that I've had on M.C. for a long time, but never tried before.

It's so good, I don't think I even want to 'play' with it and make it healthier, we'll just have it once or twice a year - it's that good!!! (the chicken was part of the l/os for Billy's recipe for Roasted Chicken with Ginger.

[Image: CHINESECHIXSALAD.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHINESE NOODLE AND CHICKEN OR TURKEY SALAD
Serving Size : 8

8 ounces linguine
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
2 cups roasted chicken -- skinned, boned, shredded
2/3 cup green onions -- sliced
1/2 cup cilantro leaves -- chopped
1/2 large jalapeno chile pepper -- seeded, deveined, minced (or not! )
4 ounces snow peas -- stringed, thinly sliced lenghtwise
DRESSING:
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T. peanut butter
2 T. rice vinegar
2 T. sesame oil
1/2 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons ginger -- minced
napa cabbage -- shredded

Cook linguine in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite.

Drain. Rinse with cold water to cool; drain well. Transfer to large bowl. Add sesame oil; toss to blend. Mix in chicken or turkey, onions, cilantro and chilies.

Cook snow peas in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain. Rinse with cold water to cool; drain well. Mix into salad.

For dressing:
Combine soy sauce, peanut butter, vinegar, sesame oil and sugar in processor; blend until smooth.

Pour dressing over salad and mix with hands to blend well. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Line large platter with Napa cabbage leaves. Mound salad over and serve.

Bon Appétit
June 1994

(a reviewer's notes)
The 2nd time I made it, I added about 2 T. fresh ginger into a quarter-recipe of the dressing. Also I added 1/2 head of chopped Napa cabbage to the whole thing, which stretches it further.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chinese Chicken Salad by cjs (As of tonite, Roy is...)
Congratulations to Roy! How nice for both of you, to be free to do exactly as you please and pick up and go whenever you want to. Hope you have many happy and healthy years to do exactly that!

Jean, that dish looks gorgeous. You're really getting good with that camera too! This is one of my favorite types of chicken salad. I collect and try them all, so thank you very much for posting this.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
Congratulations to Roy! Wow, what a change that will be! Your salad looks delicious...
Lori
http://www.RecipeGirl.com

"Everything tastes better with wine"
  Re: Re: Chinese Chicken Salad by SDRecipeGirl (Congratulations to R...)
"Wow, what a change that will be!" yes....................
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chinese Chicken Salad by cjs ("Wow, what a change ...)
So, does that mean that while you were running around some before he retired, now you're going to be running around ALL the time? I wanna go
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Chinese Chicken Salad by bjcotton (So, does that mean t...)
Congratulations and I know Roy certainly has enjoyed this day! On the road again.....!

Jean, from rough guestimating, I believe each serving of that salad would be around 6-8 pts and I think that's great for a dinner.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Chinese Chicken Salad by Half_Baked (Congratulations and ...)
6-8 points??? Good Lord, I figured it much, much higher than that! will go refigure - maybe we can have it a little more often...
www.achefsjourney.com
Congrats to Roy! What a wonderful accomplishment. My Dad retired 6 yrs ago and is still roofing houses, he just can't seem to stop working no matter how much I try to talk him out of it. Let's hope Roy can enjoy his retirement!

Changes-

Mike is semi retired, drives me nuts

I know you two have lots of good times ahead, enjoy, you deserve it!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Chinese Chicken Salad by pjcooks (Congrats to Roy! Wh...)
Great looking recipe, Jean! Congrats to Roy!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chinese Chicken Salad by Lorraine (Great looking recipe...)
Jean,

8 oz pasta - 16 pts
1 T oil - 3 pts
2 c chicken (16 oz) - 16 pts
2 T peanut butter - 4 pts
2 T sesame oil - 6 pts
1/2 T sugar - 1 pt
everything else is 'free'

Total - 46 pts
Divided by 8 servings = less than 6 pts

It's a KEEPER!
Jan