Beer Can Chicken II...
  Re: (...)
On Amazon, I found a Bayou Classic roasting rack that looked like it would do the job - priced at $9. Since I had just placed an Amazon order and wouldn't be ordering again soon, I decided to check the local Wally World. They had one in the grilling section - for $3.92. How they sell stainless steel for that price is beyond me, but I wasn't about to argue. The chicken came out incredibly moist but the skin was still nice and crispy. Will add this one to my C@H favorites - southern fried and butterflied - for a bit of variety.
  Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by Ron (On Amazon, I found a...)
I have one of those roasting racks, Ron. They do work very well. What kind of rub or seasoning did you use?

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by Mare749 (I have one of those ...)
"I have one of those roasting racks, Ron. They do work very well. What kind of rub or seasoning did you use?"

It was after a long day of fishing, so I just mixed up some garlic salt, Season All and paprika and gave the bird a quick massage.
  Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by Ron ("I have one of those...)
That's about all I do too, Ron. They come out great. I make these all the time and use the leftovers for sandwiches. I put all the bones in a pot of water to simmer and use the roasted chicken broth in risotto or soup.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by Mare749 (That's about all I d...)
Yes, it's an easy, tasty way to prepare a chicken. I wouldn't use the bones though Maryann, the 800 lb gorilla usually licks them and sucks all the meat off of them.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by bjcotton (Yes, it's an easy, t...)
Oooh! Yuck! I wouldn't use those bones either, Billy. We always pull all the meat off the bones and put it on a platter right away. Sometimes I have those bones simmering in the pot before I even sit down to eat.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by Mare749 (Oooh! Yuck! I wouldn...)
Hello,

Did I miss a recipe for Beer Can chicken. Can someone post it please.

Thank you
  Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by piano226 (Hello,[br][br]Did I ...)
Quote:

Hello,
Did I miss a recipe for Beer Can chicken. Can someone post it please. Thank you

See page 6 of history - "Beer Can Chicken" - for a recipe and a link to a recipe.
  Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by piano226 (Hello,[br][br]Did I ...)
Here's one from Tammy..the only thing I don't agree with is drinking part of the beer....yukky stuff

BEER CAN CHICKEN RECIPE - IN THE OVEN
Easy
Prep: 15 min; Cook: 2 hours

If starting with frozen chicken, defrost for 3 days in refrigerator.
• 3 - 4 pound whole chicken - kosher or free range is best
• 6 TBSP Memphis rub or spice mix
• 1 12-14 oz can beer
oven proof pan or dish; tongs and mitt; skewer

PREHEAT oven to 400 degrees F. - rack on bottom.

REMOVE any innards or other items from inside of the chicken.

RINSE the chicken inside and out in cold, running water.

OPTIONAL: seal neck of chicken with skewer (shown) for gravy, seal neck, for moister chicken, leave open.

RUB the chicken, inside and out with Memphis rub or your choice of spices.

OPEN a standard can (14 oz) of your favorite beer, punch a few extra holes, and quaff off about 1/4 of the beer.

ADD 2 TBSP rub or spice to beer can.

PLACE beer can on ovenproof pan or dish (this allows the chicken to cook indirectly and catches the juices if you want to make gravy.

ARRANGE chicken on beer can, allow the two legs to form two sides of tripod so chicken is stable (picture).

WHEN oven is ready, place chicken on pan or plate on bottom rack.

REDUCE oven to 350 degrees after 1/2 hour. BEST when chicken cooks 1 1/2 - 2 hours - check visually after about 1/2 hour and rotate the chicken in a half circle to cook evenly, should brown slowly and evenly.

WHEN chicken is ready, using tongs and oven glove if necessary to separate chicken and beer can, carefully remove to separate platter. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.

REMOVE ovenproof pan or dish, and pour in any remaining beer, stirring, if make a sauce.

CUT up chicken and serve. Serve gravy in separate dish.

Billy
  Re: Re: Beer Can Chicken II... by bjcotton (Here's one from Tamm...)
Here's another one Ron, from LCBO:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beer Can Chicken - LCBO

Recipe By :Lucy Waverman
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
One 3-1/2 to 4 lb (1.75 to 1.9 kg) chicken
2 tbsp all-purpose barbecue rub (recipe follows) -- (25 mL)
1 tbsp vegetable oil -- (15 mL)
1/4 cup orange juice -- (50 mL)
1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon -- (15 mL)
1 tbsp chopped garlic -- (15 mL)
All-Purpose Barbecue Rub

Sprinkle chicken with 1 tsp (5 mL)rub inside the body cavity. Drizzle oil over the outside of the chicken. Sprinkle 1 tbsp (15 mL) rub all over bird. Sprinkle remaining rub into the orange juice. Stir in tarragon and garlic. Pour orang ejuice mixture into cup on rack.

Place wood chips or smoker basket under rack. Preheat barbecue on high heat. When chips are smoking turn off one element and reduce other elements to medium. Temperature should be about 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)

Hold the bird upright with the opening of the body cavity at the bottom and lower it onto the grilling rack. Place on the rack of preheated barbecue.

Cook chicken 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until skin is crisp and juices run clear. Remove with tongs from rack and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut up to serve. Serve with barbecue sauce.

Source:
"LCBO - Summer 2003"
S(Internet Address):
"http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?action=recipe&language=1&recipeID=649&recipeType=1"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This method of cooking chicken originally comes from the deep South. It is the best way to cook a whole chicken on the grill because the skin never touches the grill and therefore never burns. The method has been well documented by chefs and food writers and is usually called beer can chicken because of the theory that if you perch your chicken on top of an open can the beer inside will baste the chicken and keep it moist. Today you can buy a specialized pan that gives you the same configuration as a beer can on a rack but more flexibility. You can vary the basting liquid to your own taste or use beer. Make sure the chicken is placed securely on the roasting pan or beer can, pulling the legs forward to create a tripod effect to help balance it on the grill. After cooking, let the chicken cool slightly before sliding it off the can, using tongs. Keep a baking sheet close and transfer it over. To create the smoke for this recipe you will need 2 cups of wood chips or chunks soak.

* Exported from MasterCook *

All-Purpose Barbecue Rub

Recipe By :Lucy Waverman
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Marinates-Seasonings-Rubs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea) -- (50 mL)
1 tbsp brown sugar -- (15 mL)
1 tbsp dry mustard powder -- (15 mL)
1/4 cup chili powder -- (50 mL)
2 tbsp paprika -- (25 mL)
1 tsp cayenne -- (5 mL)
2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper -- (25 mL)

Place salt, sugar, mustard powder, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and ground pepper in a bowl and mix together.

Store in an airtight jar away from heat and light; it will keep for at least six months.

Source:
"LCBO Summer 2003"
S(Internet Address):
"http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?action=recipe&language=1&recipeID=633&recipeType=1"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : If using this rub for pork and pork spare-ribs, increase the sugar to 2 tbsp (25 mL).

Billy