Spaetzle
  Re: (...)
I have a rather plain spaetzle recipe, just a basic dough with no flavor. Has anyone got a tasty spaetzle recipe? Next question, would a potato ricer do for making spaetzle? Pressing the dough through a colander just doesn't appeal.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Spaetzle by bjcotton (I have a rather plai...)
I don't have a recipe, but I have seen photos of these being formed with a potato ricer...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by foodfiend (I don't have a recip...)
I use the following recipe I found online:

3 c flour; unbleached
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 eggs; large, beaten
1/2 c water, or more
1/4 c butter

Sift flour, salt and nutmeg together in a bowl. Pour eggs and 1/4 cup water into middle of flour mixture, beat with a wooden spoon. Add enough water to make the dough slightly sticky, yet keeping it elastic and stiff. Using a spaetzle machine or a colander with medium holes, press the noodles into a large pot full of boiling salted water. Cook noodles in the water about 5 minutes or until they rise to the surface. Lift noodles out and drain on paper towels. Brown noodles in melted butter over low heat.

I've found two types of spaetzle available commercially. One is more like an egg noodle about 1/8 inch thick that I get at our local German deli or at Safeway. The potato ricer ought to make spaetzle this size. I prefer a little thicker spaetzle that I can find at various grocery stores. I have a spaezle machine, but the last time I use a spaghetti pan insert that had 3/16 inch holes. I really liked the results. This size spaetzle is more similiar to the spaezle I've had in Germany, although the smaller size is imported from there.

The town I grew up in Missouri has a specialty called liver dumplings made from liver, onion, apple, flour, salt, pepper and parsley. The older generation made them by cutting the dumplings into broth or water by hand (and since I'm getting old I do it that way), but today many use a spaetzle machine. The result is very similar to the larger size spaetzle rather than a ball that most restaurants serve as a liver dumpling.

I did make spaetzle one time using self rising flour by mistake. Definitely doesn't work!
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by aardvarknav (I use the following ...)
Thank you Aardvaark. Liver is probably the least favorite food in this house, but the nutmeg is a good idea. So far I'd only come up with garlic..which people accuse me of putting in everything except sweets

Billy
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by bjcotton (Thank you Aardvaark....)
There are some other variations online that I haven't tried:

Adding chopped raw spinich, chives, parsley,or thyme
Adding finely minced ham
Using chicken broth to make spaetzle

Adding grated cheese to the butter when frying spaetzle
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by aardvarknav (There are some other...)
I make spaetzle for Roy quite often - it's not a big favorite of mine, but the saute in butter to finish seems to give a nice flavor to them. You might even try a little cayenne in the dough.

Roy's Grandma and mom taught me to just use a table knife and cut (sorry, the only visual I can think of...) little worms off the edge of the bowl of batter into the simmering water (or stock). I also have a little spatzle thing - being the gadget master that you are, you might look into.

http://www.mysimon.com/5/spaetzle-maker.html
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by cjs (I make spaetzle for ...)
I like the long spaetzle better than the short ones and I was disappointed when I used my maker for the first time and it made the tiny dumplings. I didn't see anything about length on the packaging.

I'm saving the site, Jean. I see they have several that make spaetzle the length of spaghetti.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by Half_Baked (I like the long spae...)
Those look kind of like they'd be a PITA [pain in the ---]. I could just use the box grater side with the big holes. I think the ricer would make them too small. Guess I'll just have to try and find out huh?

Billy
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by bjcotton (Those look kind of l...)
I tried using the ricer once and it turned into a gloppy mess. But, I was also wondering if maybe my batter was just too soft and if a little flour would have helped.

I usually just put the dough on a plate and use a knife to cut off bits right into the boiling water. But, that was learned from a Hungarian friend and is probably more like a dumpling than spaetzel.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Spaetzle by Mare749 (I tried using the ri...)
Seems that making gnocchi would be easier. The holes in my colander are a little bigger than in the ricer. The recipe I have is Meatballs with Spaetzle; it sounded good, except the spaetzle sounded kind of tasteless.

Billy