Catering websites recommended?
  Re: (...)
I've been asked to do a Christmas party for 40-45 Senior Citizens. They're used to paying about $15. They want to jazz it up, as you can imagine, they're not getting much jazz for that price. I've checked out Catersource and Growlies, and Chef2Chef, but I haven't been able to find specifics- like how much food to allow when you're offering a cheese tray, fruit, stuffed mushrooms (a must), rolls (my own), salad, starch and veg, and 2 entrees. I know as you offer more, you need less of each, but ???

I'm used to dealing with the restaurant end of it. The catering jobs I've done in the last 10 yrs have been easy things for me to figure out, appys, light lunch, lots of do ahead.

So, my question is, can someone steer me in the right direction-any helpful websites? I'm beginning to think this group should rethink this decision, I can't imagine doing what they want for less than $20pp.

Yikes, always get caught trying to help people out (it's my folks Seniors' Club)

Thanks for any advice, everyone!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Catering websites recommended? by pjcooks (I've been asked to d...)
I can't really help, but when I've done things [on a much smaller scale] I tend to under-charge and get stuck with some of the cost. Be honest with them about what they'll get for that price, then let them decide and watch out for special diets.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Catering websites recommended? by bjcotton (I can't really help,...)
I agree, Billy, Perhaps I'll offer my help in some other way, I, too, always end up eatting a lot in the end. Something to sleep on..

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Catering websites recommended? by pjcooks (I agree, Billy, Perh...)
PJ, I don't know of any websites to recommend, but when I was first starting out, Nicole Aloni's book, Secrets From a Caterer's Kitchen, was highly recommended as a great source of all thing catering! And it is. I think I've heard she has a new book out also, but don't know anything about it, even the title.

Since you have plenty of time, I'd suggest you start with her book. In addition to her info on the how tos, she has some wonderful dishes (that I still make for us!)

Well, glancing thru her book just now, I noticed she does have a website -

www.secretsfromacaterer.com

I'll have to go check this out also....

Good Luck!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catering websites recommended? by cjs (PJ, I don't know of ...)
Sorry P.J. - jusst checked out Nicole's website and it's just an advertisement, really, for her books.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Catering websites recommended? by cjs (Sorry P.J. - jusst c...)
PJ, on page 406 of Kitchen Companion, there is a chapter on how much serves how many, and also on how much food to allow per person for a party. This may help a bit.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Catering websites recommended? by cjs (Sorry P.J. - jusst c...)
Thanks, Jean, looks like a trip to Barnes and Nobles is in order!

Maryann, since I have that book, I'll go take a look. Thank you.

Actually, found copies of both Nicole Aloni books at Amazon, w/ expediated shipping, both cost me less than $20.

Gotta love " new and used" for less!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Catering websites recommended? by pjcooks (Thanks, Jean, looks ...)
"Gotta love " new and used" for less!" you bet!!

Keep us posted on what you decide...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Catering websites recommended? by pjcooks (I've been asked to d...)
At $15pp you are certainly going to be volunteering your time. No criticism for that! I'm big into volunteering!

Consider making basic foods with jazzy garnishes and a fun presentation. I will look in my Simple & Elegant Entertaining book to see if there are some trips to share.

Seniors tend to have dietary restrictions that may make your menu choices tricky. And, while I really hate to stereotype older people (because I am getting there myself!) they will not hesitate to tell you exactly what they think about your work. My limited experience with helping organize special lunches at my church is that the older folks also expect a lot for a little.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out!