1 small onion
3 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (3 oz.), divided
Rice-Cheese Shell (recipe follows)

Cook zucchini in a small amount of unsalted boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and press gently to remove excess water. Spray small skillet with cooking oil. Saute mushrooms and onion in skillet over low heat until vegetables are tender but not brown. Set aside.

Combine eggs, milk, water, salt and pepper; mix well. Add zucchini, mushroom mixture and 1/2 cup cheese; stir well. Pour into rice-cheese shell; top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees, 40 minutes or until set.

Rice-Cheese Shell

Vegetable cooking spray
1 - 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup (1 oz.) shredded Swiss Cheese

Spray 9-inch pieplate with cooking spray. Combine remaining ingredients; stir well. Press mixture into pie plate and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Press rice mixture back up sides of pieplate with the back of a spoon, if necessary.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by Mare749 (Mom's Swiss Zucchini...)
Copied to Maryann's Momma's Recipes Cookbook. Thank you Sweetie.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by bjcotton (Copied to Maryann's ...)
Maryann, does your mom have any recipes for swiss chard?

I have some in my garden that needs picking. I found out on DC that they can be sauteed like I cook spinach w/garlic and evoo. That was good to find out.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by Half_Baked (Maryann, does your m...)
Jan, I have a recipe for a lovely Swiss Chard Torte from Biba Caggiano. I can post it if you'd like
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by farnfam (Jan, I have a recip...)
Many thanks Maryann, printed. I think that is a great crust too. I think silverbeet here is swiss chard there Jan, I love it, and it so easy to grow. I hope you post that recipe Cis.
  Re: Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by Half_Baked (Maryann, does your m...)
Jan, I'm not finding one, but I don't have all of her books and recipes yet either. My mom loved swiss chard, in fact, she loved all kinds of greens, but I seem to remember her just putting them in a very large skillet and cooking like spinach.

Cis, I would love to have your recipe too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by farnfam (Jan, I have a recip...)
Hi, Cis, I'm obviously not Jan, but I'd love the recipe. My sister in law loves Swiss Chard and I'd enjoy making it for her (she has a picky one, too-my brother)

Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by Mare749 (Mom's Swiss Zucchini...)
We've planted only two zucchini plants and expect a bumper crop this year.

Now every time I think of ways to use them up, it reminds me of a joke my boss told me. He said when he was a kid people only locked their cars during the late summer. Of course I took the bait and asked, why was that? It's so people won't be able to put their extra zucchinis in your car when you're not looking.

Seriously, I think I saw some recipes that use squash blossoms. Can't remember where. Anyone cooked with squash blossoms before?
  Re: Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by pjcooks (Hi, Cis, I'm obvious...)
Okay, I'd be happy to post it, but I'm sleepy now. I promise to post in the morning. It has a nice crust too, made with white wine. nitey nite
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: A good way to eat more veggies..... by farnfam (Okay, I'd be happy t...)
The crust for your quiche sounds so familar, Maryann, I think I did that years ago. The dish sounds good.

I planted extra zuccs this year, so I could play with the blossoms - I like stuffing them. I think I have 3 or 4 recipes for it. And, the easiest way is to have a pastry piping bag handy to use.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com