Hey, Billy J!!
  Re: (...)
Just ran across this recipe - I had cut it out a long time ago from a Cooking Light mag. I have not made it, but thot it might liven up your spaetzle making a little - I've added the reviews below also.

Spaetzle Baked with Ham and Gruyère

These dumplings help to make a satisfying main-dish casserole.

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
4 large eggs, divided
2 quarts water
Cooking spray
1 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup finely diced ham (about 4 ounces)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese

Preheat oven to 375°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Sift together 1 2/3 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and baking powder. Combine 3/4 cup milk and 2 eggs, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until combined. Let stand 10 minutes.
Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Hold a colander with large holes (about 1/4-inch in diameter) over boiling water; spoon about 1/2 cup dough into colander.

Press the dough through holes with a rubber spatula (droplets will form spaetzle); set colander aside. Cook 3 minutes or until done (spaetzle will rise to surface). Remove with a slotted spoon; drain in a strainer (spaetzle will stick to a paper towel). Repeat procedure with remaining dough.

Heat a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in ham. Combine spaetzle and onion mixture in a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray, tossing gently.

Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons flour, and pepper, stirring with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over spaetzle mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)

CALORIES 310 (28% from fat); FAT 9.6g (sat 4.4g,mono 2.9g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 18.8g; CHOLESTEROL 165mg; CALCIUM 288mg; SODIUM 786mg; FIBER 1.5g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 35.7g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2004

Reviews -
Mary - I thought this was going to be a disaster. I had the hardest time pushing the dough through the colander, I ended up handing it over to my husband. Next time I will use our baby food strainer. I think it will be perfect. The meal itself is hands down the BEST casserole I have ever made. Most taste the same, like cream of mushroom soup. But this was fresh, not overly salty, but still had great flavor. All the flavors worked perfectly!!! My husband couldn't believe it was a "light" recipe A+++ 10/05/06

A cook - great one dish meal. I used eggs whites instead of whole eggs. very tasty! 01/22/06

drascopat - This recipe was great! -- just make sure you have the time to make the spaetzle. It was hardy enough to satisfy my husband, so that's saying something! I didn't have any ham on hand, so I used some smoked turkey breast -- it was great and probably reduced the calories just a little more. Will definitely make again. 11/22/04

hreborchic - This is a good recipe. The only thing that I would do would be to add more salt. The leftovers where good fried with a little butter. I will make again only I will halve the recipe. 07/15/04

mariav417 - Absolutely wonderful! I had a LOT of trouble cooking the spaetzle because I didnt have a colander that size, so i used a cheese grater! Despite that, the meal was absolutely terrific and there were no leftovers! Highly reccommend. 04/11/04

jgadsesq from Los Angeles, CA - This was pretty good. Followed the recipe. The spaetzle was just the right texture, and the gruyere added a great touch of flavor. I eliminated much of the yolks (too much cholesterol) -- and it was still great. Would highly recommend for a weeknight dinner. 04/07/04
--------------

On a rainy day, I'm going to have to do this one...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Hey, Billy J!! by cjs (Just ran across this...)
Now that sounds like something my family would enjoy. Thanks Jean. I will make this when I get back up to Portland in a few days. Ya know I likes Gruyere!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hey, Billy J!! by bjcotton (Now that sounds like...)
Sounds very good, Jean. Copied!!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hey, Billy J!! by Mare749 (Sounds very good, Je...)
Man, this recipe sounds wonderful!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey, Billy J!! by cjs (Man, this recipe sou...)
He did love his Gruyere1 Thanks for bringing iot to the top, copied!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Hey, Billy J!! by Lorraine (He did love his Gruy...)
Wow! This does sound good! Thanks for the recipe and the Billy moment, Jean. I so miss that little face on here!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hey, Billy J!! by Gourmet_Mom (Wow! This does soun...)
Oh my, that sounds so good right now! And, I don't think that I ever did make that one. I think we all should make this in honor of Billy on his upcoming birthday.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Hey, Billy J!! by Mare749 (Oh my, that sounds s...)
I didn't make it either - that's sounds like a good idea, Maryann. I just made myself a note, so maybe one of us will remember....
www.achefsjourney.com