Last Night's Dinner
  Re: (...)
I'm crazy about catfish and last weekend we really stocked up on some pkgs. from Costco and last night was the first foray into them.

This recipe is really quite tasty - will certainly do again and surpisingly it did not overpower the fish. I wish I knew where the recipe came from....

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Catfish

2 catfish fillets -- (2 to 3)
For marinade or basting sauce:
1/3 cup ketchup
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoon horseradish (I used 2 T.)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons fresh basil -- finely chopped (I probably used a T. or so)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Place catfish in a shallow dish. Mix together sauce ingredients and pour over catfish fillets. Cover and allow to marinate for 30-45 minutes in the refrigerator. Remove fillets from dish, discard marinade.

Preheat grill for medium high heat. Place fillets on grill and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning once. (my fillets certainly did not take that long!)

Description:
"You can have the option of using the sauce as a marinade or for basting the catfish with."

-----

and then last weekend, I saw Paula Deen do some tomatoes that looked really good - heat olive oil in a small pan and add 3-4 T. minced garlic and cook 1-2 min. till just beginning to get golden - remove and pour into a heat proof small bowl. Grill tomato halve cut side down (brushed with some of the garlic oil) for a few minutes, turn over and spoon some of the garlic mixture on, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme. Parmesan on top and let grill a little longer. Gee this was good!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Last Night's Dinner by cjs (I'm crazy about catf...)
That sounds perfectly disgusting....are there any left overs for me?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Last Night's Dinner by bjcotton (That sounds perfectl...)
Please describe the consistency of catfish----firm, soft, white etc. textures---that sure looks like a great dish but I need to know what I could sub---- SEAFOOD???? Heaven!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Last Night's Dinner by Roxanne 21 (Please describe the ...)
Catfish are found in many places, atlantic oceam, and in rivers. They are white fleshed and found mostly in the Southeast in the US. Here is an article about them as food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfish#Catfish_as_food
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Last Night's Dinner by bjcotton (Catfish are found in...)
I was going to ask if catfish and horn(ed)pout were related, but while I was at Wikipedia, just looked it up. They are. I remember fishing w/my grandfather for these when I was very young, and I loved them panfried "in the style of the miller's wife". They're supposed to be found in Minnesota but we had 'em here in NH. At least then....

Sounds like a good recipe, Jean. Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Last Night's Dinner by pjcooks (I was going to ask i...)
Thanks for the info, Billy.

PJ-------we used to catch those hornpouts when I was a child in NH---you mean they're not extinct yet???

My grandmother could never have enough of these ugly little buggers---I really hated fish of any kind until my late 30s because of the psychological hangup it caused ( ) All those wasted years--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Last Night's Dinner by Roxanne 21 (Thanks for the info,...)
dumb youngsters!!! Can you believe I didn't particularly care for ham as a kid????? What a waste of time!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com