Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney
  Re: (...)
Anyone try this oldie? It is from issue 28 August 2001. Sure looks good to me. Would be great for a summer BBQ party.

If I had members plus I would post it...Hint, Hint, Hint
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by esgunn (Anyone try this oldi...)
Oh Erin, I only start at 39, but my I would like to have that recipe (Billy sweets?) You're right, it's sounds so summery. We've done planked salmon, but not sure planked brie is the same thing, is it?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by farnfam (Oh Erin, I only star...)
Now, this really does look good!!!

Plank-Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney
(Cuisine, August 2001, Issue 28, p. 44)

Makes: 6 Servings Total Time: 1 Hour + Soaking Time Rating: Easy

Soak:
2 cedar planks

Peel, Pit, and Slice:
1 lb. ripe peaches

Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil:
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
2 t. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
Pinch red pepper flakes

Add, Saute, Mash, and Cool:
1 lb. peaches, from above
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 T. sugar
2 t. fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste

Top with 1/2 Cup Chutney:
8 oz. wheel Brie, trimmed

Plank-Cook Brie with:
Remaining chutney
3 peaches, halved, pitted

Serve with Grilled Bread.

Soak 2 cedar planks a good six hours in water. At the very least, the planks should soak for one hour, but that’s the bare minimum amount of time. Any shorter and the plank is susceptible to catching fire. Place the planks in a shallow baking pan and cover with water. Weight the planks down with something heavy—bricks or a large bowl work fine.

To peel peaches, bring a large pot of water to a boil and have a bowl of ice water ready. Make a small “x” in the bottom of each peach and drop in boiling water for about 10 seconds. Remove peaches from boiling water with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to ice water to stop the cooking. When cool, carefully remove peel from peaches with your fingers. Halve peaches and remove pit with melon baller if necessary. Slice 1/2" thick.

Saute onion, ginger, and red pepper flakes in oil 5 min., for the chutney.

Add the peaches, wine, sugar, lemon juice, and salt; cook until peaches are soft, 5–7 min. Coarsely mash peaches with a fork and simmer until liquid is reduced, 3–4 min. Preheat grill to high. Trim 1/4" of rind from the top of the Brie and spread 1/2 cup cooled chutney over exposed area; place remaining chutney in heatproof ramekin. Halve and pit 3 fresh peaches. Dry the plank on the grill until it crackles and smokes, 3–5 min. Reduce grill to medium-low.

Top Brie with chutney, and peach halves on plank, cover grill.

Cook until cheese is soft, 10–15 min. Carefully transfer plank to a baking sheet; let stand 5 min. to set cheese slightly.

Serve Brie with grilled bread, warm chutney, and peach halves.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/6th):
231 calories 52% calories from fat 13g total fat 19g carb. 238mg sodium
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by cjs (Now, this really doe...)
Thanks Jean, this is so right up our alley. Perfect for a summer evening with cold white wine or Zin. Sounds luscious!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by farnfam (Thanks Jean, this is...)
...or champagne....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by cjs (...or champagne.... ...)
Oh my, I'm absolutely drooling.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by esgunn (Anyone try this oldi...)
Well, I thought I would make this with our dinner party menu since I was fiddling with planks anyway. OMG, it was so good! My husband insisted he didn't like brie but tried it anyway and loved it. The kids freaked out over it too.

Oh, and I made it on a maple plank since I couldn't get cedar without a lengthy search...I don't know if I would be able to tell the difference anyway.
Tammy
  Re: Rev: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by TwilightKitten (Well, I thought I wo...)
...and we all have our handy dandy little planks now, so we're all set. hmmmm.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rev: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by cjs (...and we all have o...)
to the top for Madmax - might have to do this one again too!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rev: Planked Cooked Brie with Peach Chutney by cjs (to the top for Madma...)
O good thanks for bringing this up again Jean. OMG I remember how great it was.....and I have some brie in the fridge.
Cis
Empress for Life
Cis
Empress for Life