Your meal is ready...
  Re: (...)
Anyone watch Hell's Kitchen last night? Raw eggs, raw hash browns, raw shrimp, rancid crab and food retrieved from the garbage can! We're not seeing people unable to execute something delicate, we're seeing people that can't even execute the basics. I'm beginning to wonder if anyone in the group is good enough to run a quality restaurant!

{Second day in a row of 20+ mph winds with gusts to mid-30's. Just saw an eagle trying to fly into the wind. It was flapping its wings furiously and not moving forward. Too windy to fish, so will mow lawn and hope that I don't get blown off the mower.}
  Re: Your meal is ready... by Ron (Anyone watch Hell's ...)
I taped it but we haven't watched it yet...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your meal is ready... by cjs (I taped it but we ha...)
I was HORRIFIED with last night's program! Hurry up and watch it, Jean.

I am sitting here waiting for the t'storm that was promised to us. 1/2 of my azaelas, 2 hydrangea and a tree are past their recovery time due to the drought. I can't water them enough with our heavily enforced restrictions.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Quote:

Ron - it's television. Normal operations of a restaurant aren't all that horrible. Do you think they're going to show the mundane?? Nope. That doesn't get ratings. Been there, seen it, done it - got the jacket and the toque. Ciao,

I realize that they need SOME theatrical schtick to keep the attention of the dim-witted, but this was totally off the chart. Did you watch the show?
Ron, as I said I haven't watched the show as yet, but I know (personally) of a lot of practices that most folks would not want to be a part of nor tolerate - those folks don't last long in the business. There are a lot of shortcuts taken, cheap house owners who expect the 'help' to do magical things with sub-standard product, and just plain lazy cooks.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your meal is ready... by cjs (Ron, as I said I hav...)
I know top restauranteurs (as well as diner owners) and have the highest respect for everyone who puts out a good meal. I have to ask myself, if I wanted a culinary career, would I go on television and try to serve raw food or food out of the garbage can? It would be a definite "no" for me, but apparently it's not a problem for some people. Qualified people with good jobs possibly don't want to roll the dice by being on a theatrical carnival. Apparently souffles that fall and horrendous seasoning combinations aren't dramatic enough for the general public. The Next Food Network Star and especially Hell's Kitchen have pretty much struck out with me so far this year. I am holding out hope for Top Chef, as that was clearly the best the last two years and also looks most promising this year.
  Re: Re: Your meal is ready... by Ron (I know top restauran...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
sorry Steve, if this sounds harsh, but you are sounding a tad too arrogant here - others have also spent long hours in restaurant/country club/hotel kitchens and can still find enjoyment in these types of shows!

For a home cook, Ron and others have asked legitimate questions about the 'real' workings in kitchens and to just blow everyone off with your assessment of this type of show is really not needed.

I don't mean to cut you off at the knees, but your response is just condescending as he--.

Are these show realistic? are they preposterous? do people talk that way in the kitchens? would a cook lick his/her tongs to taste something? Unfortunately, I'd have to say yes to all of the above - taken to the extreme, but yes. (I have used words in the kitchen I didn't even know I knew!! )
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Your meal is ready... by cjs (sorry Steve, if this...)