Poblano Peppers
  Re: (...)
We are growing these for the first time. I understand that they are good roasted. If anyone has any recipe suggestions, I would sure appreciate it. The poblano-corn chowder that Jean mentioned sounds great, but I need some cooler weather for that.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Poblano Peppers by Mare749 (We are growing these...)
omg, Jean has the best recipe for poblanos. I believe the name is Pork Stuffed Poblanos w/ Walnut Cream sauce. I'll look for it when I get back from exercise if no one has posted it. You may have it already. This is an amazing dish.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Poblano Peppers by Half_Baked (omg, Jean has the be...)
Oh Maryann, this is the best recipe using Poblano that any of us had tried in a long time. It's a Southern Living recipe from a while back. I think Billy, Sharon, Jan, Lorraine and I all made it and just loved it!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

PORK-STUFFED POBLANOS

8 large poblano chile peppers
1 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 small apple, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup diced almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
Walnut Cream Sauce
Garnish: cinnamon sticks

Broil chile peppers on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet 5 inches from heat about 5 minutes on each side or until peppers look blistered. (or it's easier if you have a gas stove and just char them on a burner!)

Place chile peppers in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal and let stand 10 minutes to loosen skins. Peel peppers. Gently split chile peppers open lengthwise, keeping stems intact; remove and discard seeds. Set aside.

Cook pork in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Add chopped onion and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring often, 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato and next 4 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt

Stir together tomato sauce and next 3 ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat 5 minutes.

Spoon about 1/2 cup pork mixture into each pepper, and place in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Pour tomato sauce mixture over peppers.

Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Top with Walnut Cream Sauce. Garnish, if desired, and serve over Cinnamon Rice Pilaf.
Yield: Makes 8 servings

Walnut Cream Sauce

1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Process all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.

Yield: Makes 1 1/2 cups

Serving Ideas : ----------
Muscato is the perfect wine for this dish.

-----

geez, Maryann, you're going to have me making all my old favorites again!! pizza, the stuffed poblanos....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Poblano Peppers by cjs (Oh Maryann, this is ...)
Thanks Jean, this dish sounds perfect. I'll let you know when I try it. The peppers are still small yet. Can you tell me when it's time to pick them?

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Poblano Peppers by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, this di...)
Pick them when they are about as big as green peppers.

Go to http://poblanorecipes.blogspot.com/ for more poblano recipes than you can imagine!
  Re: Re: Poblano Peppers by HomeCulinarian (Pick them when they ...)
Also you will be looking for all kinds of uses for that Walnut Cream Sauce. I think Dale was going to try in on a bbq sandwich. Wonder if she ever did?

I could eat the sauce (and I did) with a spoon.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Poblano Peppers by Mare749 (We are growing these...)
Here's another one I forgot completely about - not as outstanding as the stuffed, but a good 8 at least.

* Exported from MasterCook *

POBLANO CHICKEN
Serving Size : 4

4 med Poblano chiles -- seeded & chopped
1/2 c 2% milk
4 Tbsps butter
1 T flour
1 c Mexican crema or heavy cream -- (try f/f 1/2 & 1/2)
salt to taste
4 halves chicken breasts, no skin, no bone, R-T-C
1 c Manchego, jack or gouda cheese

Puree the chiles in a blender w/the milk till smooth.
In saucepan, melt 2 T. of butter, add the flour & brown lightly.

Add the chile puree, stirring w/a wooden spoon or whisk till smooth.
Add the cream, stirring constantly over low heat till just begins to bubble.

Remove from heat & add salt to taste.
This sauce may be made one day in advance & refrigerate.

Melt the remaining 2 T. butter in a med. skillet, & sauté chix breast halves till nicely browned; turn & sauté on 2nd side just a min or two.

Place them in a buttered baking dish, pour the poblano cream sauce over all, top w/the grated cheese & bake uncovered in a 350° oven for ~20 min. - the cheese should be golden & bubbly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Poblano Peppers by cjs (Here's another one I...)
We don't care for poblano peppers, so we used bells and the bells stuffed with the pork mixture with the Walnut cream sauce was excellent, perhaps a 9.0, really good.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Poblano Peppers by bjcotton (We don't care for po...)
Yum, Yum! I am going to have so much fun when my peppers are ready. The Hungarian yellow peppers are ready now, and the red chilies are almost there, but the poblano are slower for some reason. I can't wait to start picking!

Thank you HC, for the website. I'm going to check that out right now.

Maryann
Maryann

Re: Re: Poblano Peppers by Mare749 (Yum, Yum! I am goin...)
Next time you do your mac&cheese recipe puree some cilantro and a couple of roasted and peeled poblanos with the cheese mixture before you bake th ewhole dish.
I love them as chilis rellanos.
They are good roasted and substituted for jalepenos in salsa
Substitute a roasted poblano for jalapeno for more pepper flavor and less heat.
Dried they are ancho chilis and perfect in beef chili.(Texas style) I love poblanos.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".