Baked Potatoes on the Grill
  Re: (...)
Tried something new for us last nite - baked potatoes on the grill. What a great way to cook them - I don't think I've ever made them in the summer before with the heat from the oven and all.

I did zap in the microwave for ~1 min, I wasn't sure how long they would take otherwise, but next time I won't even bother doing that. I had three burners on high and one off and put the tatoes over the off burner. Turned them every 20 minutes and it took about an hour - they were probably done a little sooner, but I had bells and pineapple to grill before I took them off.

I made twice-baked out of the Pimiento-cheese leftovers and one burger patty, stuffed the potatoes and put back on the grill till nice and hot again.

I was surprised at how well this works - and what a great filling!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Baked Potatoes on the Grill by cjs (Tried something new ...)
Jean, did you wrap your potatoes in foil? We always have and I'm wondering if it's really necessary.

We like to do sweet potatoes this way too.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Baked Potatoes on the Grill by Mare749 (Jean, did you wrap y...)
NO! Sorry, but we don't even oil potatoes for baking, or now for grilling! We love the crispy skins. Poke holes and they are good to go - for us, anyway
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baked Potatoes on the Grill by cjs (NO! Sorry, but we do...)
Jean, we never wrap them in foil but we do pierce , rub with bacon grease and salt with kosher salt very heavely--we really get a good texture and flavor. The skin is crispy but do you think it would be better without the grease. (I love grease)
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Baked Potatoes on the Grill by Old Bay (Jean, we never wrap ...)
"but do you think it would be better without the grease.: - hell, wouldn't anything taste better with a little bacon grease...???

I can't see any problem, 'cause the potatoes (at least I did this) were on the off burner.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baked Potatoes on the Grill by Old Bay (Jean, we never wrap ...)
Quote:

Jean, we never wrap them in foil but we do pierce , rub with bacon grease and salt with kosher salt very heavely--we really get a good texture and flavor. (I love

Boy does this sound good. I might have to try it tomorrow night. Although I might be starting a bad habit at 49

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Baked Potatoes on the Grill by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
...and it's all Bill's fault...
www.achefsjourney.com