Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives
  Re: (...)
Tonight I made the Chicken with Preserved Lemons, Olives and Spices with Couscous dumplings from issue 32 using the preserved lemons from issue 31. I just loved this dish. I was a little nervous about couscous dumplings but they were quite tasty…very delicate, but tasty. All the flavors were just so nice...we all really enjoyed this one.
Tammy
  Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by TwilightKitten (Tonight I made the C...)
You all keep talking about this Tammy and I'm going to have to try it. It doesn't appeal to me from reading the title.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by bjcotton (You all keep talking...)
I've been thinking the same thing, Billy. The description of the dish just doesn't sound like something that I would normally try. But then, I never thought I would try that Indian Style chicken either, and we really, really loved it. So, now I'm curious since I think Tammy is the second one to try this dish and say that it was good. Hmmmmm.....

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by TwilightKitten (Tonight I made the C...)
Man, I'm anxious to make this - I was just thinking about the preserved lemons a couple of you did a while back....as we were transplanting our two new little citrus (meyer & lime) trees. So, now we have two meyers and hopefully, some lemons in our future!!!!

Couscous dumplings - how interesting!! Off to check them out.

This sounds so good, Tammy.

Oh *****!!! Just had a look at this!!!!
"Nutrition Information (Per 1/4th):
633 calories 60% calories from fat 70g total fat 43g carb. 526mg sodium"

and then maybe I'll just wait till I reach my target weight....

(but those couscous dumplings need to be played with now!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by cjs (Man, I'm anxious to ...)
Quote:

Oh *****!!! Just had a look at this!!!!
"Nutrition Information (Per 1/4th):
633 calories 60% calories from fat 70g total fat 43g carb. 526mg sodium"

Ack! Why did you show me that??? Maybe that's if you eat the skin, which I didn't...yeah, let's go with that.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by TwilightKitten ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
So I was thinking about how to make this dish healthier. My son mentioned yesterday that he really wanted me to remove the skin since it doesn't get crispy. Do you think the dish would work if I skinned the chicken before marinating it? Here's the recipe again...thoughts?

Chicken with Preserved Lemons, Olives, and Spices
(Cuisine at home, April 2002, Issue 32, p. 25)

Makes: 4–6 Servings Total Time: 2 1/2 Hours + Marinating Time Rating: Intermediate

Combine and Marinate:
3 lbs. chicken thighs and legs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. sweet paprika
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t. turmeric
6 cloves garlic, chopped

Layer; Sweat:
2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
2 cups yellow onion, diced
2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
1 t. whole cumin seed
1 cinnamon stick

Add and Simmer:
Chicken and marinade
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix Together for Dumplings:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry instant couscous
1 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground ginger

Cut in:
2 T. cold unsalted butter, cubed

Whisk Together; Stir in:
1/3 cup milk
1 egg

Scatter Chicken with:
12 kalamata olives, pitted
1 preserved lemon, pulp removed and rind thinly sliced

Add, If Necessary:
Up to 1 cup water

Drop Batter into Sauce.

Cover and Steam.

Garnish with:
1 preserved lemon, pulp removed and rind thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Combine chicken with oil, honey, lemon juice, spices, and garlic. Chill and marinate at least one hour or overnight.

Layer vegetables in a saute pan then sprinkle with cumin seed and cinnamon stick. Cover and sweat over medium-low heat until juices are released, 25 minutes (do not brown).

Add chicken and its marinade; season with salt and pepper. Replace lid slightly askew (so steam can escape) and simmer 45 minutes. Flip chicken pieces over and lightly season again with salt and pepper. Replace lid (still askew) and cook until chicken is very tender, 45 more minutes. Meanwhile, pit olives then slice preserved lemons; set aside.

Mix dry ingredients for dumplings, together in a medium bowl.

Cut in butter with a pastry blender until the size of peas.

Whisk egg and milk in a bowl; stir into dry ingredients; set aside.

Scatter the olives and half of the sliced lemons over the chicken; simmer, uncovered, 5–8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add up to 1 cup of water if necessary for the dumplings to simmer.

Drop batter into barely simmering sauce using a small scoop or by tablespoonfuls.

Cover and steam dumplings for about 8 minutes. Don’t peek too often, but monitor the heat so sauce doesn’t boil too vigorously.

Garnish chicken and dumplings with preserved lemon rind and cilantro.

Nutrition Information (Per 1/4th):
633 calories 60% calories from fat 70g total fat 43g carb. 526mg sodium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© August Home Publishing Company
www.CuisineAtHome.com
Tammy
  Re: Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by TwilightKitten ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Maybe that's if you eat this skin, which I didn't...yeah, let's go with that." - I'm game!!! I'm sorry, Tammy, that just shocked the heck out of me!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by TwilightKitten (So I was thinking ab...)
This really does look pretty good Tammy. I guess I just wan't paying enough attention when it was first mentioned. Thanks for posting the recipe, as I didn't have it.

As for making this dish healthier, I suppose chicken broth could be subbed for the olive oil, and you could use skinless chicken, and the dumplings could be made with egg whites and skim milk, but......that would just change the whole recipe and probably wouldn't taste nearly as good as the original. I think I'll just stick with the original and call it a special occasion.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by Mare749 (This really does loo...)
Bringing this back to the top - Tammy, I've looked all over the archives for the couscous dumplings and they aren't there. I have Issues thru #30/Dec.0l, but not #32!! Can you post the recipe for me please for the Couscous dumplings??

"I was a little nervous about couscous dumplings but they were quite tasty…very delicate, but tasty."

Now that I have my tagine, I'm wanting to play and we love couscous.

By the way, using no skin chicken pcs. and decreasing the olives a little and chopping them rather than halving them brought the nutrition list down a lot - it worked out to 6 points for the dish.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rev: Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives by cjs (Bringing this back t...)
Jean? I think the cous cous dumpling recipe is part of the post, or did you mean something else?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life