Pestos
  Re: (...)
I've started a new cookbook with nothing but pesto in it. If ya'll find a new and tasty pesto, please let me know. Right now I have about 25 or so pesto recipes.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Pestos by bjcotton (I've started a new c...)
I don't have the recipe, because there probably really isn't one, but my son made a sage pesto for a lamb dinner for us while he was in culinary school. He splayed a leg of lamb, spread it with this sage pesto, and probably some other stuff, then rolled and tied it. Oven roasted it. It was delicious! I'm having dinner with him tonight in Chicago and will ask him if he even remembers enough to provide a recipe!
  Re: Re: Pestos by HomeCulinarian (I don't have the rec...)
Sage pesto!! What a great idea - my sage is just bursting at the seams, I'll have to play with that today or tomorrow.

do you want pesto recipe that you'll never make also?????
Like -
SERRANO PESTO QUESADILLAS

Serrano Pepper Pesto:
8 medium Serrano peppers
11 med. cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbsps cilantro

Put all the pesto ingredients in a food processor and process just until the pesto is mixed together and finely chopped.
-----

and from Roberto -
"We also make red pesto with basil and sun dried tomatoes along with olive oil, pine nuts or toasted hazlenuts."

----

FUSION PESTO

1/4 cup pine nuts
3 med. cloves garlic -- threaded on a skewer
1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 packed cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 packed cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 inch piece fresh gingerroot -- peeled & sliced
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes -- or to taste
a scant 1/2 cup EVO
Salt
---

Billy, I have so many different pestos...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pestos by HomeCulinarian (I don't have the rec...)
HC, the more I thot about Sage Pesto, the more familiar it sounded - here's what I made a while back, it's delicious. Will be interested to see what your son does with his.

* Exported from MasterCook *

ROASTED ACORN SQUASH SOUP WITH SAGE PESTO & BRUSSELS SPROUTS HASH

For the soup:
4 delicate squash
1/4 cup butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 onion - medium dice
2 stalks celery - medium dice
1 cup white wine
1 qt chicken stock
1 tbsp. lemon - juice of
For the Brussel Sprout Hash:
12 brussel sprouts
6 red bliss potatoes -medium size
4 slices bacon - (or pancetta)
1 tsp. whole grain mustard
1 ½ oz sherry wine vinegar
2 tbsp. red pepper - brunoise (finely chopped)
2 tbsp. yellow pepper - brunoise (finely chopped)
1 tbsp. mixed chopped herbs
For the Sage Pesto:
1/4 cup sage leave
1 bunch parsley
1 tsp. chopped fresh garlic
2 tsp. chopped fresh shallots
1 1/2 lemon - juice of
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper - to taste

Cut squash in half and fill pockets with butter (reserve 2 tbsp.) and sprinkle cavities with brown sugar. Roast covered in 350° oven until tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cool and scoop out squash. In a large pot melt 2 tbsp of butter and sauté onions and celery until soft. De-glaze with white wine and reduce liquid by half. Add squash puree and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. In a blender, puree in small batches. Strain through fine messy strainer (chinois). Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.

Trim the stem of each brussel sprout and score the bottom. In a saucepan bring approximately 1 quart of water to a boil. Season water with salt. Add the brussel sprouts and boil until fork tender. Drain immediately and shock in ice water. Cut brussel sprouts in half and slice. Reserve.

In a saucepan cook the red bliss potatoes in enough salted water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook until tender. Drain, let cool and cut in small dice. Chop bacon into small pieces and cook in a saute pan over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove bacon from the oil. In a mixing bowl whisk the bacon oil, mustard and sherry vinegar until mixture resembles a vinaigrette. Toss in the peppers, cooked bacon, herbs, diced potato and sliced brussel sprouts. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.

De-stem the parsley and sage and place in a blender. Add the garlic and shallots and lemon juice. Pulse to blend. Drizzle in the oil to create a smooth emulsification. Put in a squirt bottle and keep cold until ready to use.

To Serve:
Ladle a generous serving of soup into a bowl. Place a large spoonful of the brussel sprout hash in center of the soup. Drizzle over the sage pesto making abstract designs.

Ladle a generous serving of soup into a bowl. Place a large spoonful of the brussel sprout hash in center of the soup. Drizzle over the sage pesto making abstract designs." Recommended Wine Snoqualmie Syrah
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pestos by cjs (Sage pesto!! What a ...)
and from Roberto -
"We also make red pesto with basil and sun dried tomatoes along with olive oil, pine nuts or toasted hazlenuts."

Jean, do you happen to have that recipe? This is one of my favorites, but I've never made it.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pestos by Mare749 (and from Roberto -[b...)
Maryann, that is the recipe....

I just add the sundried tomatoes to any pesto I'm making and change the pine nuts (my favorite) to hazelnuts.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pestos by cjs (Maryann, that is the...)
Thanks Jean, I'll have to try that one of these days. I just always buy pesto and have never made it. I'm sure homemade is much better, so I'm growing tons of basil this year.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pestos by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, I'll ha...)
Maryann, here's the basic recipe I started out with years ago and still go back to -

BASIL PESTO

1 cup basil leaves, packed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. pine nuts, roasted
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup olive oil

Combine basil, garlic, pinenuts in blender or food processor & pulse till chopped.
Turn blender on & drizzle olive oil until smooth & creamy, adjusting amount to taste.
Add cheese and blend till mixed.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pestos by cjs (Maryann, here's the ...)
Maryann, I haven't tried this, but here it is. Sounds really good...I might use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil instead of the dried ones though.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sun-dried Tomato Pesto

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil -- (8.5-ounce)
2 garlic cloves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup fresh basil leaves -- (packed)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Blend the sun-dried tomatoes and their oil, garlic, salt and pepper, to taste, and basil in a food processor and blend until the tomatoes are finely chopped.

Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pestos by bjcotton (Maryann, I haven't t...)
I don't know about that one Billy - no oil at all, that's sacrilege in my book.
www.achefsjourney.com