Issue 64: Don't ya just hate it when. . . .
  Re: (...)
You plan a meal and are absolutely certain that everything you need is on hand and find out you're mistaken!

Bob and I had been looking forward to the Grilled Shrimp and Scallops with warm bacon vinaigrette. I was positive I had everything on hand. Well. . . the scallops were too small to go on skewers (they were frozen), I didn't have any cilantro, and no one wanted to go shopping (Bob makes great margaritas!).

What to do? I marinated 8 prawns and a handfull of the scallops in the oil, garlic, salt and pepper and the red pepper flakes. For the dressing I used 2 pkts of Splenda, and used lemon juice instead of lime, and a wonderful orange muscat champagne vinegar (Trader Joe's). Bob sauteed the prawns and scallops, tossed them with the vinaigrette and a couple tablespoons of fresh shredded basil. We served it over linguini and nearly died it was sooooo good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Issue 64: Don't ya just hate it when. . . . by Harborwitch (You plan a meal and ...)
You two are so funny Sharon. No matter what happens, you managed to twist things around until something delicious falls together!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Issue 64: Don't ya just hate it when. . . . by Harborwitch (You plan a meal and ...)
Yes, she does! In Sharon's case - screw ups and drink (not necessity) is the mother of all.........
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue 64: Don't ya just hate it when. . . . by cjs (Yes, she does! In Sh...)
hic! Jean, Bob has promised to mix up a batch of his margaritas so that we can have some before he gets home from work! Oh, man, so simple and so good! Too bad you can't Billnap Mr. Cotton and bring him with you! We could really have a ball!

Big problem last night was that we drank that Riesling I was hoarding - now we'll have to go back to Delicato and get another bottle! Have to also mention that there was one prawn left with a bit of pasta - made an excellent lunch!
  Re: Re: Issue 64: Don't ya just hate it when. . . . by Harborwitch ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
So Lovey, how are the thoughts on Culinary school going? Sounds like maybe the techniques and a little polishing are about all you really need.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Issue 64: Don't ya just hate it when. . . . by bjcotton (So Lovey, how are th...)
Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Right now I'm waiting for the next trip to the oncologist - stamina and the nuclear meltdowns are my biggest issues. I still get pooped easily and I just hate it when I'm flying in the kitchen and dripping. If we can fix those I'll be good to go.