Cinnamon-Coffee Rub
  Re: (...)
...for the dreaded chicken....again!

I'd love to give credit for this idea, but the only note I, quickly, wrote on a scrap of paper was "Discovery Channel" - that's all I know. But, oh my, this is delicious and so different!

Cinnamon-Coffee Rub

This is to be used on chicken leg/thigh pieces. I've used on those, plus last nite used it on just bone in thighs.

1 T. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 T. coffee
2 cloves garlic, minced

Mix the above and rub on chicken pcs. Let marinate in frig for 3 hours or overnite.

Grill the chicken over indirect heat (my grill has four burners - two, I set on medium and two are off)

For leg/thigh - turn after 20 min and cook another 20 min. When done, tent for ~10 min.

For thighs - turn every 10 min. took about 40 min.

Kendall-Jackson '05 Zin is delicious with this.

What a wonderful flavor!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cinnamon-Coffee Rub by cjs (...for the dreaded c...)
Sounds really good! Will have to try that.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Didn't the newest issue of F&W have a coffee pork tenderloin recipe? Twice in 2 days, must be a winner!

PJ
PJ
This does sound good...but I hate the summertime -- I don't have a grill!

Is there any way to try and replicate this indoors?
  Re: Re: Cinnamon-Coffee Rub by mcd1982 (This does sound good...)
Since the recipe says to cook the chicken for 20 minutes a side over indirect heat, I'm thinking it would turn out fine in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes or so. It just isn't going to have the smokey flavor from the grill. I'll bet it would be good anyway.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cinnamon-Coffee Rub by Mare749 (Since the recipe say...)
I agree
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I make a rub of 3T coffee, 1T cocoa, and 1t cinnamen--rub it on the butt portion of a beef tenderloin. Tie it up and put in a 425 oven for 10 min. Do not open the door!!Reduce temp to 250 for another 25-30 min. Remove & Rest. 10 min later it slices like custard.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cinnamon-Coffee Rub by Old Bay (I make a rub of 3T c...)
Wow, I can only imagine the flavors there! I wonder if I did it and didn't fess up, would he be able to pick out the flavors, or just say Wow, whatever this is, is good!?

I'm going to try to work it in somehow, I'd like to try it.

Thanks!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cinnamon-Coffee Rub by pjcooks (Wow, I can only imag...)
This came from Robt. del Grande at Cafe Annie's in Houston. It is his signiture dish. It is served with a paella sauce with wild mushrooms, jalapino grits, and creamed Swiss Chard.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cinnamon-Coffee Rub by Old Bay (I make a rub of 3T c...)
Old Bay, I'm trying this for dinner tonight. Do you rub the tenderloin with oil first?